Chapter 10

Sirens. I remember hearing sirens everywhere. I heard feet shuffling, men and woman groaning and yelling in pain. The room smelled like ammonia and sweet Hawaiian flowers. I used to like that smell of those flowers, but now, the pungent smell took that pleasure away. I almost forgot about the pain I had in my left shoulder until a nurse injected me with something. The resonating ache calmed down to a slow pulse. I opened my eyes and saw the red-headed nurse hovering over me.

"About time." She mumbled.

I blinked my eyes a few times to adjust my vision. I took in everything. Nurses with bloodstained uniforms walked back and forth, attending to wounded civilians and soldiers. I turned my head and stared right into the eyes of a fellow seaman. He was missing his right eye and and left hand. He looked so miserable. How fortunate was I to only come out with a fractured shoulder. He looked at me, eyes full of sorrow and despair, and I looked away.

"How are you feeling, Jackson?" My red-headed nurse asked.

"Uh..." I groaned and looked back to her. "Better."

"That's good." She said, looking down at a clipboard and checking things off. "Are you still in excruciating pain?" I stared at her and said nothing. I didn't know how to answer that question. Did she mean physically or mentally? "Mr. Jackson?..."

"No." I replied. My shoulder hurt, yes, but it didn't compare to everyone else's injuries. I couldn't complain. "I'm fine."

She stared at my face and let out a small sigh. She nervously pushed back a strand of her curly, red hair behind her ear. "Good."

I could tell she really wanted to scream. The other nurses looked like they were used to it, but mine was really shaken by what was happening. I couldn't blame her. Besides, she didn't look like much of a nurse to me. She was probably a volunteer the military got from somewhere. I awkwardly patted her arm, to see if that would help. She looked down to me and said nothing. Her eyes were the same. Her face was still. I couldn't read her thoughts. She looked like if she wanted someone to hug her without being touched. I retracted my hand and laid it back down to my side. Someone called her name and she stood up.

"Goodbye." Rachel told me, before leaving my side.

I watched her walk back into the chaos of wounded people, doctors, and nerved nurses.

---------------------------------------------------------

The next time I awoke, everything was quiet. The uncomfortable quiet. The room was different. That time, I had it to myself. No more did the air smell of ammonia, nor did the sound of medical instruments pound against tables. I used my right arm to heave myself up into a sitting position. My left arm was feeling better, I couldn't afford to use it just yet. I sat in the room and stared at a poster of a happy patient, walking hand in hand with his daughter. The colors were vibrant and calming, but it didn't help me feel better.

I looked over to my right. Sitting on top of the table was a new uniform. It sat there, waiting for me to put it on. For once in my life, I didn't know what to do anymore. I couldn't quit the military, nor was I going to. I wanted to get my revenge for what the Japanese did. Everything inside of me hated them. Putting on the uniform would mean getting justice that I wanted, but it also meant risking everything I had for it. Was that what I really wanted? Of course, it was. Surely, it was. Some part of me didn't want to side with hatred and anger, but it was all that I felt . The uniform seemed to aid in those feelings. My rank suddenly became so important to me.

I looked away and stared at the ceiling. A new resolve was growing inside of me.

---------------------------------------------------------