Fourth - Weaknesses

6th February [2 years, 1 month and 12 days after he disappeared]

Just what would a human be without his weaknesses? A question to which there is no answer. Probably because of the fact that the number of people who could answer this question is just as low as the number of people without any weaknesses.

Tock. Tock. Tock. It almost seemed as if the clock hanging on the wall was becoming louder and louder. The air in the room was thick. On the other side of the table was a middle aged man. The handcuffs around his wrists and my colleagues watching us on the other side of the one-way mirror were probably the only things that were able to keep him from strangling me.

A sweatdrop trailed down his redly tinted face and dripped onto his handcuffs. He clenched his teeth.

There are rather people whose weaknesses are very sensitive, which is why they shall be treated with care to not be hurt quickly.
They are more vulnerable.

I smiled softly. "Mr Yamo, is there a problem, you'd like to adress?" He swung with his arms against the table on which the documents were. His handcuffs seemed to leave a small bump in the metal plate of the table which was only visible once he decided to throw all documents onto the floor. He was clearly in stress.

Every single person is vulnerable. Because every single person has his weaknesses.

"What would be the reason for me to kill my own sister? Are you even realizing what kind of nonsense you're talking abo--" I cut him off by putting the pen in my hand onto the table. "It's because you loved her in a way in which a brother shouldn't love a sister."

For the first time his eyes met mine. And after I said that it was clearly visible that the glow in his eyes disappeared. That his world was just shattered into pieces.

And once you find out what kind of vulnerability this person has, it only depends on the other person who knows about it.

He let himself fall back onto his chair as I continued to speak up. "Your sister was in love. But not with you. You kept her locked up in your house. You were crazy for her." I stood up to pick up the picture of the corpse of her which was in the documents lying on the floor.

Because from that moment on... You're only a puppet controlled by someone else.

"Crazy enough... To kill her purely with strength by holding her in your arms." I layed the picture in front of him and smiled. "You could say it was almost like a goodbye hug... Right?"

What is the next thing I do? Will I use this person for my own benefit? Will I blackmail this person? Or will I simply destroy the whole life of this human which seems so unimportant, just because I'm the one who's bored?

His lips were trembling. And Iven though I knew that from that moment on this case was closed, I didn't feel a sensation of winning. I didn't feel any "happy hormones" such as dopamine or noradrenaline being emitted from my brain. In fact... The despair in the eyes of the murderer in front of me made me feel differently. It was a weird feeling... A feeling of being able to relate to this person. A feeling of unreasonable sadness... Just what was this feeling called again? Ah... Right...

All of these are questions the person knowing about your weakness could ask himself. In fact he could do all of these things if he wants to. And the sad thing about humans is that they want a lot of things.

Sympathy.

Even though wanting something so badly could be a weakness on its own...

And it was probably for the reason that I had the same expression on my face as I found the apartment of the professor to be empty. You could almost even think that I somehow felt bad for this man sitting in front of me. Because in fact I did in some way... But maybe it was just a dumb habit of mine feeling that way for others when I see that kind of expression on their face.
Maybe it was just a weakness of mine.

So let's start again... From the beginning.

The sweat on the man's face who was now clearly exposed to be a murderer was now replaced my tears that streamed from his eyes. His hand laying on the picture of his sister's corpse, he started stuttering. "Yes... I killed her. I loved her but I killed her."

What would a human be without his weaknesses?

My eyes wandered to the one-way mirror on the wall, knowing that there were colleagues watching us on the other side of it. I glanced back to the man. "I didn't want to let that happen! But... I couldn't help it... If I wouldn't have done that, she would have left me! It's all his fault for wanting to steal her away... He stole her heart! Something that was supposed to be mine!"

Would this person be insane?

As he was about to stand up the door of the room opened. I saw the red glasses of my new colleague Ishino.
He made a gesture with his head, telling me to follow him and leave the room. His smile almost seemed exaggerated. As if it was fake.

Would he be mischievous?

I stood up. Before leaving the room, my glance shifted to the murderer still sitting at the table. His head was buried in his arms as he cried out the victim's name.
As soon as I closed the door behind me, Ishino patted my shoulder.
"That's already the second one in these few weeks you started working here." He wanted to continue talking but before he could do so a buffly built man slowly approached us.

Would he be sympathetic?

It was a person who I'd be able to recognize everywhere: His glare almost as if it was dead and yet incredibly intimidating. The color of his eyebrows were way darker than his hair color. It was the lieutenant.

Would be he scary?

He nodded as he passed us by and continued walking to the room in which the man was still inside. Ishino's eyes widened. "I've never seen him in such a good mood..."

Would he be generous?

Once again Ishino patted me on my shoulder.

I guess there will never be a real answer to that.

"I can't wait to work with you, Shigure!" His eyes met mine as he held up his hand in front of me at which I just glanced at.

The probability to find an answer to that question was just as small as the probability to find the professor.

I hesitated a bit.

It is small. But it is not zero.

The only way to reach my goal was to get along with my colleagues. No matter what my feelings towards them were. Just watching amd reading them was simply not wnough to reach my goal.

I wanted to find him...
I wanted to find my friend who was gone missing two years ago.

I took hold of his hand and shook it.

I would definitely find him.

At least... That's what I thought.