A Glimmer Of Hope

Phana's voice trembles as he sings the last line of the song and a flood of teardrop roll down on his pale cheeks.

Phana has already lost count on the number of times he has cried and he doubts he'll stop until he sees his sweetheart's smile again. He is not crying because he is weak nor because he is soft-hearted. He is mad at himself for not being able to protect the person he treasures the most, the one whom he loves more than his life.

Phana stands up and wipes his tears away for the nth time as he puts the ukulele back to its place. Suddenly, he hears a soft sob coming from the direction of the room entrance so he turns to see it was his two best friends with plastic bags in their hands.

"Hey, guys. How long have you been there?" Phana greets Kit, who was sniffling a bit and Beam, who has a little bit of glistening tears at the corner of his eyes.

"We just got here", Beam responses as he walks to the sofa and Kit following him behind, "and we got you some food." Kit hands over the ready-made bento box to Phana and a bouquet of colorful daisies, "figured you haven't eaten anything and this one is for N'Yo"

Phana smiles at the gesture. His friends has never failed to bring something for Wayo whenever they come visit, though they have been coming almost everyday. He takes the flowers and put them inside the empty pot standing on the table beside the bed.

"Thanks for dropping by and also the flowers. You don't have to bring them every time."

"You don't have to worry about it boss, N'Yo is also our precious little junior. This is the least we can do" using his usual cheeky tone, Beam retorts quickly, hoping to lighten up the mood and it did.

"Haha okay," Phana chuckles and directs his attention to Kit, "Ai'Kit, we know you are taken. You don't need to show off all the time" he raises his eyebrows and teases Kit.

Kit stares Phana in oblivious for a while and his eyes widen as the realization hit him and runs into the bathroom. Phana and Beam laugh in amusement when they hear numerous swearing words coming from the bathroom. They immediately stop laughing and pretend to have serious conversation when Kit comes out rubbing his neck and mumbling things under his breath quietly with a scowl on his face. Both of them finally lose and burst out laughing when they see Kit again.

"Damn it, Beam! Why didn't you tell me earlier? No wonder why I got stares on the way. You were totally enjoying it, weren't you? And this is a hospital room. Quiet down, you assholes!"

Beam is holding his belly while he laughs and Phana is covering his mouth, trying his best to control his laughter.

"Like I'm always checking you out. You wish Ai'Kitty. Stop being full of yourself" Beam snickers.

"Kitty my ass!"

"Awwn, look at your dear P'Kit getting all flustered. Isn't he adorable? but not as cute as you though" Phana walks to where Yo is sleeping and pulls his cheeks gently as he coos Wayo with pouted lips. He gets a smack on his head from Kit.

"Owwww... N'Yo, please wake up. Ai'Kit is bullying me!" He rubs the spot Kit just hit.

"I told you to quiet down, you idiots" Kit hits Phana's arm this time and a loud gasp comes from Beam who's making the "unbelievable" face, "You are so mean, Ai'Kitty"

Suddenly the atmosphere becomes lighter with their nonsense squabbles.

Wayo's fingers twitch a little bit in response to his lover and senior's rubbish quarrel.

"Oh oh oh! Look! Yo is moving his finger again!" Phana points at Wayo like a child who got his early Christmas present. He's been reacting from time to time ever since Phana starts serenading him which is why Phana has been continuing.