Chapter 9

It was another two days before Kena and Orion made it to another town, and they had made it through without any problems. They were now seven days away from the ocean. Kena and Orion decided to take a break by the river. Kena pulled out supplies, and they began to eat their dinner.

“I've noticed something, Orion. Besides you we have yet to see another dragon. It's like they all disappeared again. Do you happen to know where they have all gone?”

Orion nodded sadly. Kena wanted to know, but how could a dragon tell her where they have gone when neither actually spoke the other's language. Suddenly Kena remembered.

“Do you know that ancient writing form?”

Orion thought for a moment and nodded. He then began to write.

“I was taught by one of our scholars, but I wasn't taught a lot of words before the attack.”

“Well, can you tell me where all the dragons have gone?”

Orion nodded before beginning to write again.

“They have gone under the ground. There are caves in places where you Celangi do not live. These caves lead deep under the ground where it is warm. That's where the dragons live.”

“Why did they attack?”

Orion erased what he had already written to make room for the new words he was about to write down.

“Our old leader died a month ago. New leader was put in his place. He called all dragons home to the cave. New leader says he is tired of Celangi treating us like we are not smart. He wanted to fight and make then know we are smart. So, leader started to plan. He comes up with a plan to attack while you are not expecting it. He wanted to catch you off guard. It worked. Celangi people know we are smart now, but he decided he doesn't want to deal with Celangi anymore. So, He makes new rule, and dragons disappear again.”

“Except you? Why are you here?”

Orion looked down. He seemed to look semi-embarrassed.

“What's wrong?”

Orion wiped away his story. He paused before continuing with the next part. He took a breath before putting his claw to the dirt. He wrote one word.

“Banished.”

“Banished? Why were you banished?”

“I like you Celangi people, and knew that some of you would get hurt. I also know I am not the only one to feel this way, but I was the only one to say anything. I am young though, and so the leader banished me from my people.”

“Oh… I am sorry.”

“It's okay. I just wanted to save you guys, and in return you saved me. I'm just sorry I couldn't save your family.”

Kena nodded, but looked down sadly. Orion turned away.

“It's not your fault, Orion. You tried to stop them. I've tried multiple times to tell my parents an idea that I had, and they wouldn't do it. Being young can complicate things sometimes. No one listens to us, and sometimes they realize they should have after it is too late.”

Orion nodded. Kena began to stand up and stretch her legs.

“So, did we want to stay here for the night, or keep walking?”

Orion thought for a moment, and decided he needed to move, so he stood up. Kena grabbed her things, and they continued walking. They walked another three hours before stopping for the night.

They stopped and Kena set up the campfire that Orion then lit. Orion sat in front of the fire drinking water from the dish that Kena gave to him. He was still upset. This was the first time since the attack that he had told anyone what happened, and he had been hiding his anger, but now that Kena had asked, and he told her, now he realized that he was still angry at the dragon leaders. So many people could have been saved, they  would have figured out another way to prove their intelligence in a calmer way, but they were dragons, and all dragons had a fiery temper to match the fire within them. Kena looked up at him.

“You don't have to be angry, Orion.  You tried your best. From what you said there was nothing you could have done to change anything. When people, or dragons evidently, are stubborn and get an idea in their head, nothing you can do will stop them.”

Orion looked up at Kena. He was confused. This was not the first time Kena had mentioned exactly what he was thinking. This could not be just a coincidence. Either that or he just looked angry.

“Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you like that. Something just made me look up, and I figure that was what you were thinking.”

Orion wondered how she knew what he was thinking.

“I don't know how I knew, just figured, since that was the last thing we talked about.”

Orion looked at her in shock. She had to know what he was thinking or else she would not have said that. This was no coincidence, it couldn't be.

“What is it? Do you think I'm reading your mind or something?”

Orion nodded.

“I can't read minds. I'm just a normal girl.”

Orion shook his head. If she couldn't read minds how did she know what he was thinking?

“I can't read minds. I'm just guessing. I don't know what you are thinking.”

“I don't believe you.” He thought.

“I really can't. I... “ Kena paused. Somehow she did know what Orion was thinking. She didn't know how, but it was true. Kena was shocked.

“I'm just a normal girl. I shouldn't be able to do this.”

“It's okay.” Orion thought. “At least this means we can communicate easier. Instead of me writing things down we can actually talk to each other.”

Kena nodded. She was still not so sure. She had grown up thinking she could just be a normal girl like all of her friends, but then again, having everyone murdered by dragons probably ruined all chances of her being normal and growing up that way already. Orion was right, at least they could communicate now.