Part 16

Two crushed cigarette butts were partially ground into the patchy and worn grass, inches away from his mud splattered boots. Soon those two would be joined by another and Killian Jones shook his head at that realization, blowing out a cloud of grey smoke that hung momentarily in the heavy and damp atmosphere before dissipating. One of these days he would quit for good, he told himself again, the nasty habit was expensive and there were fewer and fewer places that he was able to smoke. Seeing the two he had already finished and the one he was working on now, he didn't have a lot of faith in his ability to quit. Boredom didn't help the habit either, smoking let him do something to keep himself busy when he was burdened with menial tasks, like the one he was currently stuck with.

Tasked with escorting Neil from the state line to the station after the handoff from the state trooper was not an exciting assignment but it was a necessary one. That little prick Neil knew too much and he had to be dealt with one way or the other, Killian hoped it would be done the one way and not the other, but he knew that he would be the one ultimately to take care of it regardless of the outcome. Although he seldom agreed with Cora Mills-Gold, this time he did, they both knew that it would be best for all involved if Neal went away forever. But Robert Gold loved his son to a fault and his vision had always been clouded when it came to Neal. Killian couldn't relate to that kind of devotion to someone else, not anymore. Not since her. She was the reason he was still with Gold, the reason he had his box of secrets. He ground his teeth at the memory, the painful memory of that night years ago. Both he and Gold knew that one day there would come a reckoning for that night. But know was not the time.

As he leaned on the patrol car under the gray clouds that were heavy with rain he heard a car approaching. It was coming in the right direction and Killian muttered under his breath. "About bloody time." The car grew closer and he frowned when he saw that it wasn't a squad car but a yellow Beetle. The small Volkswagen passed the wooden sign that read "Welcome To Storybrooke" and sheriff Jones watched the daughter of the former sheriff race past him. All he saw was long blonde hair and the burning rage in green eyes flash by. "Shit." He sighed and retrieved his cell phone from his pants. After three rings the call was answered and Killian spoke. "Guess who's back in town. Emma Nolan."

Her knuckles were white as she gripped the steering wheel hard. Emma had passed Killian Jones a mile ago and it had taken all her strength not to jerk the wheel of her car and run the bastard over for what he had done to her parents. It was getting dark so she headed to the diner, to Ruby. She was going to need somewhere to stay while she was in town and she was hoping that her friend would be able to take her in on such short notice. She was tired from having driven the nearly four hour trip nonstop, but she wanted to get to Storybrooke as soon as possible. There was just so much going on that she needed to take care of here, first and foremost on her list was making sure that lowlife Neal would keep his end of the bargain. She hated to rely on him in order to get justice but as of now he was the only one who could get the evidence they needed to put Gold away.

Then there was Regina. So many questions about the beautiful brunette mayor floated around in her head, distracting her so much that she nearly missed her turn. How was she doing? How had she become a mother? Was she married now? Was she seeing someone? Had she fallen in love? Had she moved on from Emma? They were questions that she needed answered and she new Ruby would have the information she so desperately craved.

She pulled up at the diner and got out of her car, seeing the diner brought back bittersweet memories and clouded her vision with nostalgia. This was practically her home away from home while growing up and the place had so many good times embedded in its walls. With a sigh she reminded herself that those times were gone, plans and dreams for a bright future had been darkened by fate and reality. Now the diner seemed to be only a reminder of a life that could have been. With a look of determination and courage that she didn't feel inside, she stepped through the door. Instantly the smell of burgers and fries, pies and coffee, meatloaf and pancakes filled her nose and made her stomach rudely remind her that she needed to eat.