Chapter 29

Julie sat back in the car; she was being driven to the studio. JoJo was about to record, Just A Fool, with Harry. For some reason, they thought she needed to be there when it happened. She honestly thought that it would be something they would do separate and then the sound engineers would put together. When she'd agreed to let the song be recorded, this was not how she had pictured it. She definitely did not see Harry singing the male part. It was five months since the conversation they had at his house. Five months since she'd determined they needed a real break. They kept in touch. Not often, but enough to keep up on each other's affairs.

They did see each other once. He'd called one day in early June. She immediately knew that something was wrong. She could hear it in his voice as soon as he spoke. Harry had gone through some pretty tough things in the months prior. He was one of the strongest people she knew, but she could tell immediately that this was different. He was in New York, and he needed someone desperately. She'd jumped on a plane immediately and went to him. They spent days in his hotel room talking and sharing. She did a lot of listening. He did a lot of crying at first, and then eventually felt a little more normal. She was glad she could be there for him. They were like best friends those few days. Nothing else mattered but their conversation and being together. They had take out and room service, they never left the hotel room, and as close as they were, they kept it platonic. She still felt that physical connection, that pull she always had when she was in the same room as him, but they never acted on it.

She was happy she'd had that moment. He was there for her through their entire relationship. He'd helped her through some pretty crappy times. She was glad she could be there for his. She couldn't even imagine what he was going through. They never spoke about a specific moment. A specific tragedy, after he told her what happened. They talked about the good times, the memories, the fun and laughter he had with certain people. It was part of the accepting and healing process. When it was time to go, she could tell he was in a better place. And they had said goodbye like old friends. She was still nervous to see him though.

Her writing program was great. It kept her mind busy and open and really pulled out her creative energy. She was glad that she'd taken a chance and did it. She'd met some great people when she entered the program also. She bonded well with them, which was nice, and a bit new. She didn't expect to make such good friends when she'd signed up for it. She had spent a lot of time with them. She did seem to get along better with the men. It was tricky for her to navigate the women sometimes. They seemed to have interests she just couldn't grasp. Like shopping. They would schedule time every week to wander the mall. Julie went once. And had politely declined ever since. She didn't get it. Walking around, going into stores, and trying on things that you knew you weren't going to buy, just for fun. Yeah, definitely not her thing. She had no idea why people enjoyed that. Made no sense to her. But she just figured she was the odd one out. No one could say she was normal in any sense of the word.

She spent a lot of time with two members of the writing group in particular. Marcus and Jaime. Two total opposite personalities, but each played a part in her time in the program. She'd gone on a couple of dates with Marcus, but nothing really serious. He was sweet, kind, and very humble. He was handsome in his own way. Not Harry handsome to her, but she doubted anyone ever would be. He was a bit shorter, built, dark hair cut short, dark eyes, and dark complexion. She never asked but she'd guess Italian if someone were to ask her. He would take her on low-key dates, to quiet restaurants and movies. Whenever she felt the stress building up, she KNEW he would be able to give her the calmness she needed.

Jaime, on the other hand, was loud and funny. He made her laugh continuously. She spent more time with him. He was an amazing friend. Sometimes she had to send him away though because when she was lost in her writing, he was a constant distraction. One she needed sometimes and needed to send away other times. Marcus and Jaime would have been the perfect person, if only both of them had somehow been one. She had thought about that. How it seemed she was replacing Harry, with two different versions. Harry could be sweet, kind and calming one moment, and loud, obnoxious and funny the next. Somehow it worked better to have them separated. Nothing was serious though. She told Harry she wasn't ready, and she wasn't ready to be serious with anyone. It was a time that she needed for herself. It was a time she believed was working for her.