Desperate Times, Desperate Measures

Aargh pinned the small blue changeling to the wall by his throat, his markings glowing with fury. The changeling clawed at the large paw crushing his windpipe, gasping, "I'll help you! Please just let me down I'll help you!" Aargh dropped the changeling immediately.

Truthfully the changeling, who was called Basal, hadn't been hard to find. He was a favored underling and the only 'impure' allowed in trollmarket. He was also one of the only changelings who was still loyal to Gunmar, but it didn't take much 'persuasion' for him to talk.

Massaging his throat, Basal told Jim and Aargh everything he knew. "Dictatious sent spies to look for your hiding place, and to capture anyone who might knew. We were lucky to find Blinky, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. All I did was discover the drugs and needles we needed to take prisoners. Dictatious is holding him in the melee sector right now." Jim and Aargh looked at each other, horrified but not really surprised that Blinky's evil brother was behind all of it.

Jim crouched by Basal, piercing him with his steady gaze. "Where is the melee sector?" Basal explained its exact location, glancing fearfully at Aargh the entire time. But the large troll's anger had fizzled, replaced by hope that they now had enough information to rescue his dearest friend. Basal even provided information on the security, fortifications, and number of prisoners. Jim knew that as soon as he and Aargh left, Basal would go sound the alarm, but they couldn't take him with them and risk Basal learning the cave's location, and Jim refused to kill the defenseless troll. Basal was sitting up, and he avoided Jim's gaze. "I do hope you find your friend, and I apologize in advance." Jim was about to ask what for when Basal began screaming at the top of his lungs.

Jim panicked and slammed the hilt of his sword into the back of Basal's neck. The changeling went limp, and Aargh shoved him under a nearby ledge so that he wouldn't be found immediately. Jim felt awful, but he couldn't let Basal put the whole place on red alert. As they left, Jim tried to pretend that he hadn't seen the changeling's breathing stop.

They hadn't silenced Basal fast enough anyway; Aargh could hear the clanging of soldier's armor as they looked for the source of the screams. Jim and Aargh hastily snuck out of trollmarket, running from the bellows of rage echoing behind them.