Chapter 10 - The Truth

Daniel trudged along the asphalt path, his head was pounding and his muscles ached, but he knew he wouldn't be able to rest. He turned left and slowly walked up towards the front door, quietly opening it.

He crept through the hallway, the sound of the television in his mothers room was blaring as he walked past it. He padded along to the staircase, each step creaking quietly as he ascended them.

Opening his door, he rushed towards his cupboard and pulled out a large bag, throwing it onto the bed. A scrunching sound alarmed him, and he turned got up, moving the bag off of his bed, he picked up what appeared to be a piece of paper from where the bag had landed.

He walked over to the light switch and turned the light on, and what he had in his hands appeared to be a letter. The front of it was bare, and he curiously opened it, taking out a slip of paper and unfolding it, reading the words that appeared neatly written on the page.

Hi Dan,

You haven't been at school for a while, and I'm worried about you.

Before you put this letter down, I just want to say I'm sorry.

I'm sorry for what I did a few weeks ago. I shouldn't have reacted the way I did.

You're not a freak, you're just different.

I was scared because I didn't know how to react, what you did was both amazing and frightening.

I just want you to forgive me. I'm so sorry.

When you read this letter, can you please come and see me.

I'm worried about you, because I do care about you, I've never become as close with somebody in such little time as I have with you.

Aidelle.

Daniel read over the letter several times, his mind a blur.

Is it a trick? He thought to himself.

Slipping the piece of paper back into the envelope, he knelt down onto the floor, opening his drawers and pulling out clothes. He got back up and began stuffing them into the bag on his bed, but stopped at the sound of a knock on his bedroom door.

"Daniel?" His mothers voice called from the other side of the door.

Daniel's face immediately scrunched up, and he proceeded pushing the clothes down into the bottom of the bag.

"Daniel, open the door, please. I have to talk to you," Eliza continued.

"What do you want?" He replied.

"I want you to know the truth."

Daniel frowned, confused, and reluctantly turned around and opened the door.

"What do you want?" He growled.

She stepped back, frightened by his overpowering presence.

"Can I come in?" She replied meekly.

"If you have something to say it'd better be good," he snapped.

"You should hear it. I know why you have your ability."

Daniel looked at her, stunned, unsure of how to react at what she had said.

"What do you mean? How could you know?" He replied in disbelief.

"Well I do. Marcus doesn't believe it, he thinks there's something more to it. But I have an explanation for why all this is happening to you, and you deserve to know."