Chapter Twelve - Becoming a Killer

A quarter moon went by with nothing exciting going on. The apprentices would leave in the morning, including the four newcomers, and would come back with at least one wound. I was more than jealous. Way more than jealous. And the envy grew like maggots in the dead everytime they came back with another battle wound.

I tried not to let it get to me. Soon, I'd be an apprentice.

And soon, I had just realized, was the BloodClan Hunger Games. We had to wait six moons before the next battle, and two more moons and it would be up. Scourge seemed very happy to announce it was coming up.

"BloodClan Hunger Games is in just less than two moons! Be prepared, and please... Don't fight our decisions!" Scourge had warned, his eyes were narrowed to a slit and flooding with excitement and evil.

Scourge looked older now. His muzzle dotted with white and his fur clung to his body shape. It was always on my mind about when he would be dying.

I was snapped out of it as my name was mentioned.

Scourge was on top of his den again, his eyes dark and mysterious. He fluffed out his shiny black coat and looked straight at me. I hadn't even of noticed he had called the Clan together.

"Icekit, step forward." Scourge announced. My eyes widened and reluctantly, I stalked forward, my fur fluffed up in alarm. I left the nursery's opening and stood under Scourge.

"From this day forward, until you have been given your warrior name, you'll be named Icepaw. Mudclaw will be your mentor, may his strength and determination help you become a cold blooded killer." Scourge announced, flicking his torn ear. His eyes were narrowed and I turned around as I heard paws coming toward me.

Mudclaw touched noses with me, his eyes dark and evil, "When I'm done with you, kit, you'll wish you were never born." He snarled into my ear.

A shiver ran down my back and I blinked in shock, not even listening to the ceremony of Deathkit as he became Deathpaw.

Deathpaw could barely keep his paws still; Hawkpaw and Bloodpaw were practically jumping up and down in excitement for Deathpaw.

Tawnypelt looked happy and my heart skipped a beat as she even met eyes with me and gave me a small nod. Her green eyes were bright with pride. Rowansting was on patrol, but I couldn't help myself but hope that he also would give me a small nod, or something similar to say he was proud.

BloodClan cheered our new names until Scourge raise his tail for silence. "Thornclaw, take Tess, Ice, Mudclaw, Sootfur and your apprentices out to fight." Scourge instructed. He dipped his head and we left.

I hopped out of the camp with excitement pulsing through my veins. I looked above to see the sky was covered with dark, bulging clouds. Rain was for sure coming and I didn't even care.

Nothing was going to ruin this moment.

We headed toward the torn up training center, where blood had stained the sandy grounds. My heart sped up and my eyes widened as I realized what I was really getting into.

"To some, welcome to the training center. To others, welcome back." Tess grunted.

"This is where you'll be fighting Clanmates to semi-practice for the Hunger Games and to keep BloodClan safe and protected. Only the best apprentices are chosen to be warriors, others are forced to prove their strength by going to the Hunger Games," Ice announced, his voice strong and carrying around the silent forest. "Only the strongest in both will-power and force win."