Chapter Two: Drive

The next morning, my alarm went off, causing me to groan. I slammed the snooze button a few times that morning, and only woke up when my mom came upstairs to yell at me that I was going to be late for school.

I quickly threw on a pair of skinny jeans and a t-shirt, before looking at myself in the mirror and cringing. I had failed to wash off my makeup yesterday, so the pretty winged eyeliner that I was so proud of was smeared halfway down my face. I took a wipe and wiped it off, before just deciding to go without makeup that day. I also left my hair in its naturally wavy crazy state.

I was about to leave when I looked down at Axel's leather jacket sitting on the chair. I quickly grabbed it and threw it on, figuring I'd slip it to him when I saw him at school that day.

When I got downstairs I accepted a granola bar from my mom with a tight smile, slipping on my Vans before leaving the house. Since I walked, I had to walk very quickly to make it on time, but I figured I could do it.

This was what I was focused on until I noticed a car slowing down beside me. Before that night, I wouldn't have thought much about it, however, after what had happened it made me nervous. I began walking faster, trying to avoid eye contact with whoever it was, hoping they'd just leave me alone.

"Hey! Nice jacket!" I let out a huge breath of relief when I looked up and made eye contact with Axel.

"Jeez! You scared the crap out of me!"

He laughed. "Sorry. Hey, do you want a ride?"

"Well, yeah. Because now I'm going to be late if I keep walking."

He smiled, reaching across the car to open the passenger seat door. I had gotten inside and buckled up before realizing that I did have his leather jacket. "Oh, right. I still have this," I said, going to take his jacket off.

"Don't worry about it. I have other ones," he said, gesturing to the leather jacket he was wearing. "Plus, you pull it off better than I ever could."

"Oh, shut up," I said, but I couldn't help but smile.

We drove in silence for a little bit before he suddenly asked, "Are you alright?"

I sighed, knowing this question would come. "Not exactly... I just... I don't know. I'm trying to pretend that it's not real, I think. I'm in shock I guess..."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah... I just... I don't know."

"If you ever need to talk."

"I know. Thank you."

"No problem."

We once again sat in silence until we were about a minute from school. "You know, people are going to be really confused when they see us getting out of a car together," I said, laughing a little bit.

"Yeah. But I don't give a shit what people think of me."

"Not even your scary friends?" I asked, grinning.

"Not even my scary friends," he chuckled.

Well, I was right about what people would think when we got out of the car. It seemed that all heads were turned to us and whispers littered the parking lot.

"Ignore them," he said and I felt his hand on my back through his leather jacket and I nodded. "I'll see you later," he said then suddenly.

"Aren't you going to class?" I asked hesitantly.

"I think I'm gonna have a smoke first."

"Ew. That stuff will kill you, you know." I crinkled my nose and he chuckled.