Chapter 1

Hey there, thanks for reading! This is my first ever published work so please go easy on me. Love JHutch? Lets fangirl! :D Enjoy... )

Annie's POV

"Why do you always treat me like this?" I screamed at my boyfriend, Nate. "What do you mean? I give you everything you want and do everything you want me to do. I seriously don't get you sometimes." He snaps in frustration. "Buying me flowers then tell me you're going away for the weekend, ignoring me for your friends and ditching me at the dinner date YOU planned a day ago. Is that what you mean by treating me nicely?" Tears were flowing down my cheeks. I couldn't stand his jerkiness anymore. "Annie, you know..." He starts, holding my hand, smothering me with his piercing blue eyes. "NO I DON'T KNOW! Just leave!" I've had enough with him and his puppy face. Pulling my hands away, I rushed up the stairs and into my room, slamming the door in the process.

Josh. I need to call Josh.

I looked for my phone. I need to call my best friend, Josh. We've been friends for 15 years now and if I could trust anyone to protect me, it'll be him. I see my phone under the pile of The Hunger Games books I collect. My hand flew to dial his number. Nate was knocking at my room door. Pounding more like it. "Annie, I swear..."

"Josh!" I said, the moment he picked up. "Annie? Whats up?" He says, he must've been trying to make something because I heard him drop cutlery. "Josh, please come over. It's Nate and I just..." My tears were pouring out uncontrollably now. My sniffled sob concerned Josh. "Annie, calm down. Now tell me, what is wrong? Is Nate hurting you?" He says. "Please come *sob* over now. He *sob* won't go away." I heard him hang up and a few minutes later, there was banging on my front door.

"ANNIE!" Josh called from downstairs. "Annie, did you call that idiot?!" Nate shouted from outside my room. "Why, you little b*tch?!" Then I heard some shuffling and it was quiet for a moment. "What did you do to her?!" Josh's voice boomed. "Leave us alone, ok? This is none of your business!" Nate snapped. "YOU leave her alone." I could hear Josh shoving Nate. And a series of shouting punching came after that.

"Josh." I opened my room door. "Annie! Get inside!" Josh shouted. He was holding Nate down on the floor while he trashed around, cursing every foul word he knew. "You bloody b*tch!" Afraid, I went back in and locked the door. "Please stop fighting! Nate please just go away!" I said from inside my room. "You heard her. Now leave!" Their voices were getting faint. I could hear them trudging down the steps and the front door slamming.

"Annie?" Josh knocked on my door. I opened it and flunged myself on him. "Josh!" I pressed my tear stained cheek on his chest, still crying. "Shh, shh.. It's alright now. He's gone." He said softly while stroking my hair. Holding each other like this, it's not a first. I hug him all the time and he always hug me back. Whenever I'm sad, I would crawl into his arms and find safety in his warmth. Just like how he finds himself smiling whenever I laugh. This is what best friends are for. And I love Josh for that. We've been friends for so long, it's never strange to see me holding him from time to time. Even our parents tease us. Saying we should get married someday. I shrug it off, so does Josh. I think.