Chapter 4

Your POV

I started to give Johnny Piano lessons once more. He was doing so well for not playing the Piano in years.

We could both hear everyone else playing and practicing their own songs. Everyone else...

I was worried. I was going to have to meet the other contestants. What if they hated me? Surely they couldn't be as nice as Johnny is being to me. Suddenly the power went out. I gasped softly.

"What happened?" Johnny asked.

"Uh, I don't know" I said confused as he was. I walked over to the door, after almost stumbling, and opened it. Peering down the stairs I could make out the shapes of everyone in the room below.

"Mr. Moon, when did you last pay the power bill?" Crawley asked.

"Uh... Okay, don't worry, everybody. I will take care of this. In the meantime, you will continue to rehearse in the dark" Buster said.

I heard everyone murmuring and complaining. But I carefully closed the door and went over to the Piano. I looked through one of the drawers nearby and found a flashlight. "Moon wants us to continue practicing" I said setting the light up so it would shine right on the Piano and the music.

I watched Moon pull a extension cord out the window. I rolled my eyes. "Okay Johnny, can you play it again?" I asked shyly.

"Of course" He said before playing through the song as well as he could. This was going to need a lot more work.

A few moments later the extension cord from in front of me got pulled tight. It pulled me off of my stool and slammed me into Miss Crawleys desk behind me. Curse you Moon. I rubbed my sore stomach.

"Are you alright?" Johnny got up and asked me as the power came back on.

"Yeah I'm fine" I said. That line comes out of my mouth way to easily...

"Are you sure?" He asked holding his hand out to me, after I climbed out from under the cord.

"Yeah" I said softly. I looked up to his hand that he was reaching out to me. Should I? I remember all of the times that kids used to punch and slap me. When they would pretend to want to help me get up, but would then pull their hand away and say something along the lines of, "You'd really think I'd touch you?". Or when people wouldn't want to shake my hand but they had to, I could even see the adults hesitation to shake my hand. So slowly I got up without his help. "I'm Okay Johnny, really" I smiled softly. But I I'm not okay. None of this is okay.

"Okay, Good" He smiled. So much smiling. Why is he doing this?

"Uh.. you should practice" I said quietly as he just stared into my eyes. Probably because I'm a freak. I adverted my gaze.

"Okay" He said sitting down on the stool again. Slowly starting to play again. I got up and sat back down on my stool again. This was going to be harder than I thought...
.
.
.
A few hours later everyone had left the Theater. Besides myself, and of course Miss Crawley and Buster. I waited for my brother, sitting in the lobby, staring out the window. I watched people walk down the sidewalks, unaware that I was watching them. I wish I could walk down the street like that, not a care in the world, not having everyone stare at you in disgust.

Eddy walked in the doors. I felt some of my sadness instantly wash away at the sight of my brother. I walked over to him and hugged him.

"Hey sis, how was your day?" He asked.

"Fine" I just said. He gave me a look, one that means he wants me to explain. Because fine to most people is different to me. "It was I promise" I said.

"That's good. Do you want to get going?" He asked. I nodded. We both walked towards the doors. I have a habit of mine that I don't even notice anymore. I always peek out the window or door, waiting for when there are no people nearby. There was no one.

So Eddy and I made my way to my (favorite car), and got in. The second I sat down and turned the radio on I instantly felt better. Music, being shielded from others view of me, and the company of one of the people that I love. It changes me. I can finally feel like I can be myself. I can be (y/n). The real (y/n), who is happy, and loving, and caring, and energetic. Not the mask that I always seem to wear...

Sorry it's short, but I hope you liked it!