4. Broken Walls

Veronica's POV

I can't believe I'll be meeting my fiancè tonight

I'm not even looking forward to it.

What if my future husband is UGLY, or a NERD, or worse someone OLDER?!

I was deep in thought or you could say I was panicking in my head.

That was until I lifted my head and a gorgeous man came into sight.

I'm dreaming right?

Kung nananaginip man ako, AYOKONG MAGISING!

Is this man going to be my future husband?

A few thoughts from our parents were exchanged about our wedding in the future.

So my fiancè's name is Arthur Clark Villaverde and I might be Mrs. Veronica Claire Villaverde too soon.

Appetizer, Main course and Dessert, I couldn't stop myself from stealing a few quick glances at him.

After dinner, Arthur offered me to a walk in the garden with him.

My first impression of him was of a typical rich kid, not so gentlemanly but very arrogant.

But I guess first impressions aren't always true. He's actually a very kind person at heart and he is in fact very much a gentleman.

We got along well despite the situation we were dragged into by our parents.

"May I?"

Arthur asked me while holding a diamond ring in his hand.

"Oh, sure."

The ring fit perfectly on my finger.

The thought of wearing this ring for the rest of my life suddenly crossed my mind.

I guess there's no turning back now.

Arthur's hand and mine intertwined each other's as we approached our parents' table.

Do you remember those sayings that if your hand touches someone else's whom you are in love with, you'd feel a spark.

But in my case the spark was not present with Arthur and I.

I want to get out of this arranged marriage.

But since Arthur seems like a nice guy, I'd like to see first if Arthur and I would be good for each other and if not I'll just set him free to find his own happiness.

As soon as we arrived at our parents' table they were all staring at us like some miracle had happened.

Well I guess you might consider how Arthur and I got civil with each other as a miracle.

The rest of the night was great and I got to know Arthur better as a person. I even knew that he had a loyal childhood friend back home.

I would like to meet her someday.

··········

Tita invited me to her home to have a little chat to know me better since I would be married off to her unico ijo.

Naabutan ko si Arthur na nakaupo sa couch sa living room habang may hawak na laptop.

"Oh hey, didn't see you there Veronica. Do you want something to drink?"

"Yes please." I replied.

He dashed off to where I think their kitchen is.

I moved to face the laptop he was using earlier.

Hannah Ramirez :
Active

I decided to type a message to her, I want her to know about the real score between Arthur and I.

Arthur
Hi! You must be Hannah,
Arthur's childhood friend right?

Hannah
Anong pinagsasabi mo Art?
Of course I'm Hannah! Ba't
naman hindi?

Arthur
Oh! I'm sorry, hindi pa ba nasasabi
ni Arthur sayo?

Hannah
Who are you?
How do you know Arthur?
And ano ba hindi pa niya
sinasabi sa akin?

As I thought hindi pa nga niya sinasabi ang dahilan kung bakit pumunta dito sa America si Arthur.

I heard steps approaching the living room.

"Veronica are you alright with juice?"

Arthur saw me holding his laptop and I accidentally pressed the video call button.

Hannah's confused face appeared on the screen.

Arthur rushed to my side.

"H-Hannah I'd like you to meet Veronica."
Arthur introduced me to her in a rather hesitant way.

"Well, nice to meet you then. But, who is she in particular? And how are you two connected to each other?"

Hannah attacked both Arthur and I with questions.

"She's my fiancèe." 

A few moments of silence remained between all of us.

"W-What? I-I mean h-how? I-I didn't even know you were in a r-relationship with
s-someone."

Hannah was gaping at us through the laptop's screen.

"I'm sorry i couldn't tell you before, Veronica and I are in an arranged marriage and I'm afraid we can't do anything about it."

"It's fine, I'm just shocked and a little emotional since my best friend is getting married."

Silence once again filled the entire space between all of us and I noticed Hannah getting a little teary eyed.

"Veronica, right?"

I simply nodded since the atmosphere was getting a little heavy around us although we're not in the same room.

"Please take care of him will you? Arthur's a really great guy and he's a keeper for sure, Bye Arthur, bye Veronica."

Video call ended

Arthur sighed deeply as he closed the laptop.

What have I done?