Melody

I stepped back and admired my work. I had turned that scruffy little house into a home. I had completed my trek to the Forgotten Valley two days ago. I had uncovered a small abandoned village and claimed the nicest one as my own. Now it glowed with warmth and blankets and clothes draped over the drooping furniture. I had turned a cold drafty hut into a livable home. I yawned widely it had been a long day. I settled into my bed and picked up one of my favorite books. A book that was a gift from my mother. I Looked at the title, The Ode of Us it was an adventure story with demon princes, an assassin turned good, love, and loss. It was beautiful, my favorite character was the Forgotten prince who ensnared the struggling assassins heart with his brash, and gentle nature; he reminded me of my father Rowan, whom was both brash and gentle. Thinking of my parents hurt so much it was hard to breath, I dropped the book. It landed with a thunk I extinguished my candle and curled up on my side to sleep. I awoke with a start. Sitting bolt up. My ears and eyes strained tos sense something, the thing that woke me with such a jolt. I heard it again the snap of a branch the labored breathing of both steed and mount, the quiet muttering of man. Adrenaline rushed through my veins as I grabbed a long, thick log. Silently I crept toward the door, gripping the log with both hands. The man must have been very close to my door because and I grew closer his muttering grew louder and more legible. Soon is good only a foot away from the door, swiftly I kicked the door open and swung the long outside with such a force that it hit the door frame and splintered. My vision cleared and I could see a smug face looking out from the fog. That jerk thought he could show up here. The— the arrogance of that man. Anger flushed my face, I opened my mouth only to have him interrupt me.
"Now, now we wouldn't want to embarrass ourselves would we." He added an annoyed cluck to the end of his sentence. "How dare you think you can just show up, after what you did, Noah," is spat at him. He flinched slightly at my brutality."Ah now Mel, you don't have to call me that, try No, just like old times." "Well No it's not old times so I think it's clearly time for you to leave. "After I just got here?" "Yes, now go."
I stared at him with an unrelenting hatred burning in my eyes. I could see him searching for anything other than cold indifference in my face. He would find none.