Chapter 4

One day, while Leon was reading in the chamber, the door creaked open. He thought it was Tino at first until giggles reached his ears. The omega looked up from his thick, black-covered book and met those curious, large orbs. The boy was around eight. He had spiky, blond hair and blue eyes. His skin was pale like the rest of his family members. He was basically a miniature Mathias. The girl standing next to him with a straight, pouty face was probably his twin. She wore a frilly, purple dress. Her hair was light blond and those eyes reminded Leon of Lukas'.

After some dithering and whispering, the two kids decided to slip into the chamber. Leon stood up. They both took a step back.

"Hello, there, it's alright," Leon said. "I, like, don't bite."

The boy peeked at the girl. The girl huffed and shoved him forward.

"Ask him," she hissed.

"Are you, like, looking for Emil?" Leon asked. He walked towards the kids and bent down a little. "You must be his younger brother and sister."

The two children exchanged yet another dubious glance. Leon tilted his head slightly and smiled.

"Mind telling me your names?"

"Sigurd," the boy mumbled.

"Lene," the girl muttered.

"Cool, I'm Leon." Leon held out his hand. The twins didn't take it. Instead, they kept staring. Now, he knew what Emil was talking about when he said both his siblings were peculiar. They could be downright quiet or completely troublesome. The boy looked friendlier. He had Mathias' goofy smile. The girl crossed her arms and scrutinised Leon unblinkingly. Both were gorgeous and dressed in elegant clothes. It made Leon wonder if Emil's entire family did really descend from the heaven.

"Oh well, what brings you here, little ones?"

"Go ask him," Lene urged, pushing her brother forward.

"Fine, I will!" Sigurd yelped and looked at Leon. "Are you big brother's wife?"

Leon didn't know how to respond to that question so he just opened his mouth wide.

"But I heard it ought to be a 'she'!" Lene whispered.

"I know, that's weird, isn't it?" Sigurd whispered back. "If he's not the bride, then who is he?"

"Exactly," Lene echoed with a nod and pointed at Leon. "Who are you?"

"What are you doing in big brother's chamber?"

"I...er...well...you see," Leon stuttered and scratched his head.

"Are you an intruder?" Lene narrowed her eyes.

"No!" Leon replied instantly. "I'm, indeed, your brother's wife."

"You are?" Sigurd chuckled and leapt at the older boy. He wrapped his arms around his waist. "That's so cool! I didn't know big brother's wife is a boy! We can play together!"

Lene grimaced and walked away. She jumped onto the couch, her legs dangling languidly. The twins had come to take a peek at their big brother's mate. They hadn't seen Emil for a while and they hoped they could hang out with him.

"He doesn't play with us anymore," Sigurd said.

"He's always hiding in his chamber," Lene added.

"Or having his lessons."

"Well, your brother has his duties to fulfil," Leon explained and ruffled the boy's hair. "It's, like, a prince's job to learn and prepare for his future responsibilities."