Chapter 8: Redemption

My office was in downtown, in the main street. Easy to get to you may say but it will turn to a real nightmare when you need to reach to that office in rush hour. After driving my daughter to school, I drove as fast as I can to the office in hope of avoiding get stuck in this horrible congestion. Yet somehow I still find myself get caught in it.

Fantastic.

By the time I got in my office, it was already 9:45. Luckily, I didn't have any appointment in the morning. I spot my secretary siting at her desk writing some papers. She always goes to work early and stays at work late. Such a hardworking girl.

"Good morning". I said

"Morning, sir. You come to work early today." She smiled.

"Yeah, maybe. But I could have come earlier if I didn't get stuck in that horrible traffic jam".

"Ah, I see. So frustrating, right?." She smiled apologetically. "Anyway, there is a man insisting to meet you, I told him you didn't come to work this morning yet he said he will stay in your office until he meet you."

"Who is he?". I asked.

"I don't know sir, he didn't give me his name. He just said he is your old friend".

Who could that be? I only kept in touch with some of my friends, but the last time we saw each other, we were doing good.

"I see, so how long has he been waiting?"

"About 2 hours."

2 hours?

Is there anything wrong?

"Ok, leave him to me. Thank you." Finally, I told her.

"Yes sir". She replied and got back to her job.

Seriously, what happened?

What could possibly go wrong?

I went upstairs and headed to my office. I opened the door. There was indeed a man sitting on the couch reading newspaper, crossing his legs. He didn't sit directly in front of me but based on his lateral facial side, I thought I knew him.

He was indeed my old friend.

Chou?

He looked up and saw me. Then he grinned and waved at me.

"Dear God, what took you so long? I thought I'll be rot in here waiting for you."

He said and put the newspaper aside, stood up.

"Don't be exaggerated. You didn't even care to call me first. You have yourself to blame, Chou". I closed the door and walked to my desk.

"Ah, ... easy buddy. Just wanna give you a surprise." He smiled sheepishly. "But I must say, I'm more surprise about you. Founder of a exporting company? Such a fortune, boy, how come you never told me?". He asked enthusiastically.

"You never asked". I simply stated.

"Ah right. It's my fault again". He said and sat in front of my desk.

"Uh...huh". I agreed and gave him a cup of tea. This man isn't into coffee.

"Thanks". He replied and took a small sip. "I miss the taste of good tea for a long time. In my place, tea are shit."

He kept drinking his tea and looking at my desk. He didn't seem to be in any trouble. He even looked too healthy and happy to my liking. Or did he just try to pretend to be something that he's not ?

"So, what brings you here?". I couldn't hold myself and asked bluntly.

"Why didn't you come to the class reunion?" .He asked me back. "Sometimes, I feel you just like the president, living far off the normal life."