XI. THE STAND

❝PEOPLE WHO TRY HARD TO DO THE RIGHT THING ALWAYS SEEM MAD

❝PEOPLE WHO TRY HARD TO DO THE RIGHT THING ALWAYS SEEM MAD.❞
-STEPHEN KING, THE STAND (1978)

          JILLIAN HAD A VERY CLOSE eye on Faye after her questioning down at the station. Every time Faye went downstairs to grab an apple or go to play with the dog, Jillian's watchful gaze was set on the redheaded girl with unwavering focus. Faye began to feel her hands become clammy just by stepping outside of the confinements of her bedroom.

          Luckily for her, the prison warden had gone out to grab some groceries as per request by Faye who had been having a dire craving for her mother's famous banana pudding for their dessert after the funeral that day. And, being the big sap that her mother was, she bought into the very persuasive words her daughter let flow so smoothly from her tongue. If only that kind of persuasion worked on people other than her close family.

          Faye, knowing that she had to meet up with the boys at Mike's house in less than five minutes- her mother took ages to actually get past the driveway- she scribbled down her location and an apology to her mother on a slip of paper while letting her know she'd be back as soon as possible. She then stuck the paper on the fridge door and held it in place with a letter B magnet. After that, she was rushing out of the house to avoid the possibility of having an unfortunate run-in with her mother.

          Faye had been called through their walkie-talkie system by Dustin. Apparently, there was a huge break in figuring out where Will was, and she wasn't about to pass up the chance to listen in on a chance to get him back home where he belonged.

          "What's going on?" Faye asked when she threw open the door to the Wheeler's basement.

          "Faye!" El's soft voice piped up.

          Faye felt a body collide with hers, momentarily knocking the breath out of her. Looking down, she saw El with her arms wrapped securely around Faye's waist and her face smooshed into her abdomen. Faye let out a breathy greeting and a smile to the young girl while rubbing her back as a show of her acknowledgment.

          "We think we might've found the gate to get to Will!" Dustin announced gleefully.

          "Well, not yet," Mike corrected. "We were talking to Mr. Clark at the funeral today and he told us that if there were very a gate to another dimension, it would give off a power so strong that the electromagnetic field would become disorganized-"

          "That's why these compasses," Dustin threw one down on the table in front of Faye. "Aren't facing north. They're facing-"

          "The direction the gate's in..." Faye finished after the gears started turning in her head.

          "Exactly."

          "So whichever way that needle is pointing, is the way where the gate is... And wherever the gate is... that's where Will is!" Faye exclaimed. "Ugh! You guys are geniuses! Come on, let's go!"