5

We watched as the seats below us fill up quickly. The show must be even more popular than I thought. As soon as the front doors closed and all of the audience were seated, the lights dimmed and the sounds of drums started playing. Then, a shadowy figure with his face obscured by the darkness came onto the stage.

"Ladies and gents, this is the moment you've waited for."

The figure announced as he pointed his cane into one direction and to the amazement of the audience, the light went back on there.

Slowly, one by one, with a flicker of the cane, all the lights went back on. The figure took off his top hat, resulting in deafening cheers from the audience.

It was Phineas.

All of the curiosities flooded onto the stage for the opening act. They danced and sang with so much enthusiasm some of the audience even joined in. Once they finished and the lights dimmed back, the audience broke into applause, already pumped up.

"I must say, I'm already excited for the rest of the performance after that one, and it was only the opening act!" Philip said to me. He had to raise his voice as the cheers from the audience were so loud conversation couldn't even be made.

Phineas rushed back into our box, panting slightly after all the excitement from the opening act. "So what do you think?" He asked us.

"Magnificent," I replied. "I can't wait for the next act."

He laughed. "Thank you so much, sweetheart. But if you thought that was the best Barnum Museum could offer, you clearly hadn't seen what we are really capable of. Let the show speak for itself!"

We were treated to two hours of singing, dancing, stunts and animal acts. The audience could barely contain themselves from standing up to applaud the performer everytime a performance ended. Just as we thought it was over, the drums started pounding again, signalling its final act.

The curtains pulled open, revealing a man and a woman dressed in purple. The crowd went insanely wild. Clearly this was the audience's favourite. The two people grabbed onto trapezes and were soon flying in the air.

They were incredible.

Every single one of their stunts were captivating and perfectly-timed. They showed no signs of weakness or cowardice as they swung around in the air, clearly not intimidated by the heights. As they got closer to our box, I noticed the woman and the man were caramel-skinned and had similar features, they must be siblings. The woman even had light pink hair tied in a loose bun.

Suddenly, the woman was holding onto the trapeze with only her legs. The audience gasped, fearing she might fall. But she didn't stop just there. She started swinging around the room, from left to right, from front to behind...

And suddenly she was directly in front of us, her fingers outstretched. She was so close, almost as if she could just climb right into the box.

I watched her eyes and Philip's made contact.

It was only for half a second but it felt like a minute. I watched her face, contorted with concentration from performing, loosen slightly as she gazed at Philip.

The same was for Philip. His eyes widened and his mouth parted as they locked eyes, clearly intimidated by the flying beauty. But it was the way he was looking at her that made my heart tighten. It was unlike any expression I had seen appeared on his face. I had only ever seen it on the faces of young couples that littered around the theatres.

It looked like love.

The moment was over as quickly as it happened. The woman swung back to the ground with the man and they bowed to the roaring applause of the audience. I looked at Philip, whose face was expressionless.

"Are you alright?" I asked. He didn't reply.

When the curtain call started, he turned to Phineas. "Who's that?" He asked in a hoarse voice as he stared at the pink-haired trapeze artist. "The lady in purple and pink."

Phineas laughed, clearly delighted by his question. "That, young man, was Anne. Anne Wheeler, the Queen of Trapeze."

And then he rushed back down to the stage for the grand finale.

Finally we are getting into the juicy parts, and it's only the beginning... Stay tuned for more!!