[ 4 ]

FLUORESCENT ADOLESCENT — Arctic monkeys

Benny and I sat awkwardly at the back of the car, listening to the high pitched voices of the girls up front.

I had learned that the drivers name was Zara, and this party was being thrown by her boyfriend Brandon. I glanced at her with my peripheral vision and noticed her gaze from the mirror.

"So, Elena is it?" She asked, a smirk etched on her lips.

"Yeah, I just moved here." I replied awkwardly.

"Well obviously, otherwise you'd already be a permanent guest at my parties." She spoke as though it were a fact.

"And why would that be the case?" I asked curiously.

"Everyone attends my parties, except for the Jet over here, he's too much of a prissy kid when he hangs out with those sandlot
boys," She laughed, causing anger to pulse through me.

"Nah, he's cool and so are those sandlot boys, they just aren't into those things," I defended, seeing Benny appear more uncomfortable than he was before.

"Are you telling me you're apart of that group of baseball block heads?" She asked, amusement spilling from her expression.

"Yeah, they are cool dudes," I simply stated, the girls in the car all erupted in laughter.

I felt Benny squeeze my wrist causing me to look over at him. "Thank you," He mouthed.

I smiled in reply instead of responding to the irritating group of girls. I was just going to this party to see what this new town had to offer, to take Benny to his first party, and for the free alcohol. I didn't want to allow Benny to see the old person I used to be back in my old city, so I'd probably refrain from a majority of my old habits.

We pulled up to a large white house that looked as if it belonged to a rich family. I was baffled as to how Zara's boyfriend was rich enough to afford this. It was most likely his parents house.

We all exited the vehicle accordingly, I fumbled to grab Benny's hand. I looked over at him to see if he was okay with it and was brought comfort when he intertwined our fingers, my hands engulfed by his calloused palms.

The blaring of music pierced my eardrum as I walked into the over populated house. Above the doorway hung a brightly lit chandelier, the house was also decorated in expensive decorations. I scanned the walls for pictures of what I assumed was Brandon's family.

We were greeted by a tall boy with porcelain skin, a messily styled faux cut of dark charcoal hair falling in front of his eyes, and a razor sharp jawline. His eyes coated in hues of cerulean directed his gaze on Benny and I as he grabbed Zara by the waist.

"Who's this?" He quirked an eyebrow toward us.

"This is Elena—she's new to town, and her friend Benny Rodriguez." Zara gestured toward us.

"Hey I know you Rodriguez, I'm friends with your sister, she's in my chemistry class." Brandon said, smiling friendly in his direction.

"Oh, that's cool man, nice place." Benny complimented, appearing out of place.

"Yeah, thanks. You guys enjoy yourselves. You and Elena can join my friends and I in the basement, it's much more secluded than this." Brandon said, gesturing towards a white door next to the large dinning room.