[ 7 ]

FLIGHTLESS BIRD, AMERICAN MOUTH — Iron and Wine

The brisk summer air engulfed the atmosphere, a serenity beaming from both Benny and I as we made our way to the sandlot.

As we entered the gates, the screams of the boys came into contact with us, all of them laughing at something Ham had said.

"Would ya look at that," a mischievous smirk danced upon Squints' face. "Look who's
back, guys."

"Is that the real Benny Rodriguez and his new trusty side-kick Lina?" Yeah-Yeah piped up, slapping his face to emphasize the mocking surprise.

"Ha, real funny blockheads." Benny laughed, making his way to first base.

I walked with Benny over to first to await my turn to bat, all the boys following through the game as though we never left.

I watched Benny's hands grip the bat aggressively, an eager bounce of his legs lightly as he took his natural stance.

Kenny wound the ball with as much might as he could spur, throwing Benny his ultimate heater. My eyebrows shot up in disbelief as a loud crack was heard once Benny's bat grasped the ball.

I watched Benny lose grip of the bat as his feet padded to touch first base, watching as Bertram searched for the ball.

Without hesitating, Benny's legs paced to second base automatically, an everlasting smile beaming from him.

He was able to bounce from second to third, almost struggling to get to short-stop, but managing to sprint fast enough, his legs kicking dusts of sand around him.

Benny managed to make his way to home plate, avoiding Ham striking him out as his torso effortlessly slid on the sand coated base. With a triumphant grin, Benny walked back to stand behind me.

"So the Jet's still got it?" Bertram's mocking laughed pulsed through the atmosphere.

"Shut up, it never left," Benny replied to all the boys laughing in his direction.

"But this has been the first week that you haven't been all baseball baseball baseball! I have no idea what's gotten into you, man," Yeah-Yeah explained, the boys nodding their heads in unison.

"Nothing man, baseball is still all I'm doing guys," Benny replied to the gazes of all the boys.

"How about you Lina, what've you two been up to?" Squints' asked with curiosity lacing his words.

"Nothing, I—uh. . ." I stammered.

"Bertram told us about the parties and those superficial bootleg greasers you guys hang out with," Yeah-Yeah explained. Bertram, Kenny, Benny, and I all avoiding their judgemental gazes.

"You're gonna get yourselves in trouble, crackheads!" Ham exclaimed as everyone made their way to take a break on the benches.

"Shut up guys, Lina just showed us some fun at her place, there's more to life than baseball," Bertram's voice spoke as he regained composure.

"Yeah you're right, wasting time to get hammered and drugged up sounds spectacular, dipshit," Ham scowled.

"You're just mad you didn't get to come," Bertram fired back defensively as Ham made his way closer to him.