The Legend of the Blood-Love Part III

With massive apologies for such a long wait! The writers block is real sometimes.

This chapter's song is: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, from a movie by the same name.

Big welcome to the new followers! Glad you've made it for the last leg of the journey!

Enjoy the chapter :)

It was a garden at twilight into which the proud Kazekage entered. Soft hues of blue and purple lined the fences; a clematis shone a beautiful aubergine colour in the dusky sunlight and delicate verbena sat in bunches lining the pathway to a pavilion. A beautiful stone structure with engraved arches and a stone dome stood magnificently in the centre of the garden with lavender caressing the stone steps leading up to the its entrance. Inside was a familiar figure; lying on a bench, playing with blossoms that fell from the cherry tree and drifted to her on the breeze, was a girl dressed in lilac. With large blue eyes and shimmering waves of dark hair, her fair skin glowed gold in the last rays of sunshine. Dressed in white silk slippers, white trousers and a long white top with high neck collar as was his usual fashion, Gaara could not take his eyes off of her. A nightingale sang out to the hidden moon as though announcing the man's arrival into her garden.

The young Kazekage approached with unhidden apathy; he sauntered up to her, a breeze ruffling his hair and a small smile of disbelief playing on his face. She was barefoot, the anklets he gift her one night in the palace gardens, were twinkling in the sunset. The layers of lilac chiffon she had wrapped around her were caressing her curves in the breeze, her veil was taken off her head and instead lying on the bench, swirling around her arm as she stretched out to the floor, letting a petal dance around her fingertip. As he entered the pavilion, she caught his eye and smiled mischievously, beckoning him in with the biting of her lips.

"I barely sleep and yet you've taken to haunting my dreams." Gaara said as her smile broadened. "Is there no end to this torture, Renai?" At hearing this name, her smile faded. The woman in front of him sat up suddenly, her innocent and coy looks replaced with one of smugness.

"You know I am not her?" She asked, her voice deeper than he remembered. Gaara leant against a pillar and folded his arms. "Of course I do," he scoffed, noticing now the lines around her eyes, the creases in her brow, "she looked more like an angel. Her skin did not sag, her teeth were not sharp, her hair more lustrous than starlight, not coils of barbed wire-"

"How dare you-?"

"What do you want, Renai?" The goddess' face fell entirely; she had the power to destroy this mortal in the blink of an eye and yet he stood, so defiant, so recklessly disrespectful, before her. She stood from the bench and made darkness descend onto the sky; the moon shone brightly on her as her dark hair swayed around her. Candles were lit suddenly, flames springing into life as nighttime covered the scene. Gaara did not flinch.

"Do you know who you're talking to!?" He practically rolled his eyes as she shouted. It was so like any form of Ai to be vain.

"Spare me the lecture," Gaara mumbled, staring absent-mindedly at the way the clematis on the opposite pillar twirled so effortlessly around the smooth stone before he turned his attention back to an outraged Renai. The look on her face, seeing Ai's brow furrowed in frustration, her fists clenched, it sparked something primal in him. "It's entirely your fault that the world has been shaped the way it has," he told her, watching her shoulders shake in frustration. "You put Ai on the Earth, you made her perfect to me, made our love inescapable." He unfolded his arms and stood definitely at the entrance of the pavilion. Inexplicably, stars began to shine behind him as though waking up to the Kazekage's indignation. "You made Ai capable of ninjutsu. That simple fact left us spiralling into something tragic. And now that I know her, I know you so well. You are both consumed by vanity and short tempers. And you are so much worse than her-"