The Moon Sat on a Balcony

This story is on a few sites now (FanFiction/Quotev) and I was recently contacted and asked to put it up here too so here it is! Just a few points before you begin:

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the type of courtesan I am referring to, please direct your attention to the following Youtube videos:

Umrao Jaan (2006) - Salaam (English Subtitles)

The courtesans of this story are sophisticated, intelligent women who have been trained in the art of poetry, dance, politics, science and any other pursuits that seem desirable.

This story will contain lemons and other adult themes; after all we are dealing with essentially high class prostitutes.

**************************************************************************************************

The loop of the 'g' in the word 'Kazekage' had started off as a sharp, narrow point, mirroring the quick, dedicated manner in which the young Kazekage had begun is work. As though every letter stole precious time, he had zoomed through hours of paperwork in minutes...that was until he realised that upon finishing his papers he would have nothing better to do than meet his council. In a desperate bid to prevent such interaction from happening, Gaara had taken to making sure every letter was taken care of.

Now, the loop hung limp and fat has the leader of men took his time, idly swirling his pen on the yellowing parchment; begging for the working day to be over. He glanced around his office, ornate and grand, it swallowed him into a world he was unsure of. One moment he was ushered away from public eye and then next limelight had been thrust upon him. Is it what he wanted? Even he did not know.

He was avoiding meetings with his council, just to be rid of them, stopping servants from bringing him his lunch just so he did not have to endure their stares. Gaara was in a world he was yet to understand; bored and alone, he sat at his desk, deceptively resolute, unknown to be fearful.

The Kazekage's gaze left his office and dropped down to the work in front of him. Was not there something that could tear him away from this place, from his station as a leader? Rubbing his eyes, he relaxed a little as a soft breeze flew in through his window and ruffled his hair.

"Gaara!" The Kazekage looked up, alarmed. His elder brother barged into the office, a large smile on his face, a glass of something in his hand.

"Kankuro," Gaara nodded at his brother and watched, almost with jealousy, at the way his brother grinned and jostled and was happy; what would it be like to feel that way?

"Geez…you've only been Kazekage two days and they've given you this much work?" Kankuro helped himself to the seat opposite Gaara's desk and picked up a bundle of papers, eyes madly skimming the pages.

Deciding he had had enough of the interruption, Gaara put his head down and got back to work. "I'm technically not Kazakage until the festival." He did not look up.

Throwing the papers back down on the desk, Kankuro marched over to the window and gestured to the calm plains of Suna. "You are a man of power now, little brother," Kankuro ignored his brother's look of boredom, "aren't you going to take advantage of all the benefits that comes with?" A moment of silence. "Are you almost done?" The puppet master puffed out his chest in triumph as he saw he had caught his brother's attention.

"Almost," Gaara looked up with a quizzical look, "why?"

Kankuro swayed slightly as he walked over to him, put his hand on Gaara's desk, leant in and indicated with a nod to all the papers around them. "Get over this insanity and let us leave this place!" He announced, dramatically, "I feel completely walled in." He sniffed and could see Gaara was seriously considering the offer.