|| Chapter 17 || Blazing Flames Bring a Death

Edited 03.10.23

The sky is gray and filled with clouds that dull the sun's light. This paired with wind that shakes grass and tree leaves warns that a storm is on its way meaning you'll want to find shelter eventually, however for now, you're just trying to cover as much ground as possible.

For lunch, you've stopped near the Eagus Bridge. Snacking on fleet-lotus seeds you had been given by the Zoras, you both discuss plans to continue onwards towards the Forest of Time then follow the trails until you reach Faron Region, although given the approaching storm, you might only make it to the Bridge of Hylia. Oh well, at least you'll be close to your goal either way.

"Why don't we cut through the East Post Ruins?" Link questions, using his Sheikah Slate to trace the path you've detailed. He notices there appears to be a large clearing that goes straight across and reconnects with the trail which would be much less distance to travel rather than following the trail itself the entire time. He remembers vaguely passing this area on his way to the Dueling Peaks. Sure, there's a few moblins and bokoblins, but they shouldn't be an issue for the two of you.

"I don't know," you still say, plopping another seed into your mouth, "The trail will be easier for Epona and Celeste to go down, not to mention it'll likely be safer for us, too."

"But cutting through would save us time, then we won't have to worry so much about outrunning the storm. Maybe we'll even be able to make it past the Bridge of Hylia today," Link turns to smooth Epona's muzzle with a smile, "I'm sure Epona and Celeste will do fine. They aren't picky. What do you say girl? Can you handle a little off-road adventure?"

Epona snorts and rests her head in his hands.

"See? She has no objections."

"Maybe you're both just reckless," you roll your eyes and even Celeste blows air from her nose as if to agree with your statement. Nevertheless, you suck on your cheek while considering Link's proposition. He's right, the shortcut would save you quite a bit of time, however ever since the Calamity, monsters have made homes out of old outposts and it will be harder to maneuver through one in a hurry if an escape is required...

Checking the sky, you notice the storm seems to be rolling in much faster than you had anticipated. If you're unlucky, it might already be on you guys before you even make it through the shortcut. Plus, the begging eyes Link's currently giving you are pretty adorable...

"Okay. I suppose it's worth a try."

He smiles.

"Buuut -" you hold up a finger sternly, "- We need to be very watchful of our surroundings and where we're leading the horses. The last thing I want is one of them getting hurt tripping over cement or something else."

~~~

You were right to worry about when the storm would actually be over you. By the time you reach the East Post Ruins, rain begins to sprinkle down from the sky, creating mini puddles upon the ground and making the air misty, although fortunately, it's nothing extreme. Hopefully, it'll stay this way until you make it to smoother ground where the horses can better place their steps.

Link follows you through the area, his hood pulled over his head for the same reason you wear yours: to keep water out of your eyes. Once in a while, Epona or Celeste will shake their own heads which will send rain drops flying everywhere as they sigh their concerns and displeasure towards this weather.

Something that has played to your luck is the fact that even monsters dread rainfall like this. In a rush, they've disappeared under trees and broken building roofs, trying to keep dry the best they can. Only a select few stay out, but none show any interest towards you guys; they're too distracted trying to catch some fresh drops of water in their mouths.