|| Chapter 40 || Unwanted Surprise

Edited 05.10.23

No one says anything - not once since leaving the Spring of Wisdom. The only sounds that can be heard are the echoes of footsteps, peaceful wind blowing over the fields, and the happy chirping of birds in the distance; an ambience that acts as a complete contrast to the Princess's inner pain.

Every step feels like a stab to her heart, her stomach feeling sicker and sicker to the point that she expects she'll collapse at any moment now, but she keeps reminding herself that she needs to stay strong. She's already a failure in all other aspects, so she might as well keep some portion of her dignity and show she won't falter...no matter how difficult the act is to maintain...

Your equally silent presence leads her along as does the gentle hand you have placed on her shoulder. The air between you both may remain frosty, but after your return from the Gerudo Desert, you appeared to be in a much better mood, enough so that you were finally willing to listen to Zelda's apologies. One long, awkward discussion later, you made it clear that you aren't quite ready to forgive her yet, however you did agree to give her a second chance at friendship, something she's been very grateful for. During hard times like this, she needs your advice and support more than ever.

Not only have you begun to slowly mend your relationship with the Princess, but also Link as well. In her apology, Zelda had informed you about how she tried throwing him off any trail that would lead him to discover your hidden feelings. At first you seemed disappointed and, if she didn't know any better, there seemed to have been questions sitting on the edge of your tongue then. How did he react? Was he relieved? Did he give any implication of feeling the same way? ...Of course, none were spoken aloud. You merely smiled after a moment, thanking Zelda for trying to fix her mistakes before quietly going on your way. She tried to ask only to be met with the response that you had some things to think over on your own. She didn't press further.

She doesn't know what Urbosa said to you, but perhaps that shouldn't be her concern. Overall, you've been in high spirits these last few days, carrying a bit of pep to your step around the Castle and wearing a joyful smile whenever around friends; it's a great contrast to herself.

At the moment, you're just as mournful as she is, sympathetic to the defeat she currently withers in. It's her seventeenth birthday which means she was finally allowed to journey to the Spring of Wisdom to pray; it was the only spring in Hyrule she hadn't been to yet making it the only spring that hadn't denied her her powers. She was hopeful; that much was clear when she asked if you would accompany her, figuring that maybe your magic would rub off on her or simply act as good luck (truly she was just nervous and needed a friend). Unfortunately, her dreams were dashed by noon...She felt nothing...No power...No connection to the Goddess...

Zelda's heart nearly constricts when seeing the shadows of the Champions sneaking into her line of sight. Link and you accompanied her directly to the Spring, however everyone else had come to support her today, too, knowing how important this trip was not only for her, but also for Hyrule's future.

While no words are said to inform the other Champions of her failure, the dejected looks on all three of your faces as you approach make it easy to guess how things went up on that freezing mountain.

"Well, don't keep us in suspense. How'd everything go?" Daruk is the first to actually ask, trying to remain optimistic, however he, along with the others, are disappointed to see Zelda shake her head sadly as an answer.

"So you didn't feel anything? Nothing even a shiver?" Revali questions, his voice for once soft and not dripping with its usual pride.

"I'm sorry, no," Zelda mutters, clasping her hands nervously in front of herself. She feels as if she'll shrink any second now under everyone's watch.