Prologue.

"Another head hangs lowly
Child is slowly taken"

I am Liam. A survivor of the apocalypse. Everything fell apart about a year ago when the epidemic started.

It was July 4th, just three days after Canada Day. Summer break had recently started, back in the U.S, everyone was way too busy being trigger-happy while watching fireworks. It seemed to be a normal day, I was just making some coffee while Caden and Max were watching the news.

I heard the alert ready tones coming from the old radio we had in the house. Yes, we still used radios. I know, that's like ancient technology. James, the caretaker of this house, also my adopted father, said that it was in case of an emergency.

I assumed it was just going to be a weather alert, or something like that until the voice came on...

"This message has been transmitted at the request of the Kelowna Police Department," the monotone voice said. "At 1:47 p.m, several conflicting reports have come in that zombie-like creatures have been roaming around the city of Kelowna. At the current time, all citizens within a 50-kilometre radius of Kelowna are strongly advised to board up your homes. If you are outside, go into the nearest building and go into an interior room, with few doors and windows as possible. Stay tuned to this station for more information on this developing situation."

Yep, I just found myself trapped in the middle of a zombie outbreak. I was panicking, pacing around the room, taking deep breaths. Trying to find the confidence I need, I slowly opened the blinds, my hands and body shaking violently.

There were people running all over the street, screaming while trying to evade something. I couldn't see much of what was happening. I could see dead bodies all over the road and sidewalk, what I assumed the zombie biting on them.

"Liam!" I heard Max shout. "Get the hell over here!" This was the correct time to actually start panicking.

Susan was coming home from going to Costco, which gave me more reason to actually panic. There were basically zombies everywhere! I knew it wasn't safe here anymore, so I began to do what the alert told us to do.

Caden, Max, and I all began to board up the windows, using the old wooden panels we had in the separate room in the condo.

Max began to look out the window, and immediately started panicking at the sight of the ruined streets. We all kept boarding up the windows as the radio told us to and still kept the news station in the tv on if there was any more information.

I remembered hearing there was something happening similar to this in Vernon just a few days ago, and just one day later, the entire city was quarantined. Videos on youtube began circulating around, twitter was basically taken over by the events, basically, every other post was about the outbreak.

The city was in a panic, rioting was going on outside the windows, and it got so worse, that the region was put into martial law.

I could hear quick footsteps approaching the door to the apartment, the door handle shaking as it's swung open forcefully. Susan came rushing inside, slamming the door shut. We all turned our heads to look that she was covered in blood, her body shaking in fear.

Also, there was another alert. It was about an hour later by that point, which means we can finally learn about the virus and other stuff like that.

The alert ready tones came back on, telling us to basically go to the tv and surround it. "This message is transmitted at the request of the British Columbian Centre for Disease Control and the Kelowna Police Department," the voice announced. "More attacks have been happening across the region. It is now believed to be a pathogenic virus. The symptoms are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, internal and external hemorrhaging, and bleeding from the eyes and mouth. If you been attacked by any infected, or show any symptoms, do not leave your home. All hospitals and public places are closed until further notice."

For the first time, and I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner, there was an explosion. It was just sudden, right after that, sirens began blaring across the streets. The lights started flickering, the electronics were flashing on and off. Then, there was complete silence. No sirens, no screaming, nothing.

In this particular situation, silence is the worst thing to happen. It's just that you keep thinking of what's going to happen to you.

Then all of a sudden, I heard the door slam open, although it was locked. Max turned around and pointed his laser rifle at whoever or whatever it was. "Hey Max, calm the fuck down!" I heard what seemed to be Lucas' voice shout.

Lucas rushed inside, along with his other friends, which had all gone missing. Bloodrayne had her makeup all messed up, her eyeliner eats across her face, Frisk looked rather normal compared to everyone else, "Hey Liam," he said, putting his rifle down. "Long time, no see, huh?"

Bloodrayne was right behind him, fixing her long, dark red hair. "Wait... where's Nick?" She asked, looking around.

There was a quick moment of silence, Lucas crossing his arms. "Good question."

"Hey, dumbasses!" I heard Nick screaming from the door. "Ben and I are still outside!"

Lucas managed to get the door open, signalling Nick and Ben to get inside. Blood was splattered all over their faces, their shirts were torn, with cuts and scars all over their bodies.

"Happy birthday," Lucas reminded me. Being all caught up in trying to survive this nightmare, I forgot it was my birthday.

Nothing really special telly happens on my birthdays. I've never really thought of it as special. To me, it just means that I'm closer to death's door.

So I began to look around the room to block the door with, and almost immediately, I saw an old desk no one used. It was just piling up dust in the corner, so we put it to use.

After all of that, everyone sat down at the dinner table, I was making dinner, while everyone else was waiting. I basically just microwaved some canned beans and called it a day.

Now we wait for help.