Chapter One

"But you see, it's not me
It's not my family
In your head, in your head, they are fighting
With their tanks, and their bombs
And their bombs, and their drones
In your head, in your head, they are crying"

I sat near the campfire with my friends, telling stories to each other, while the residents were fast asleep. Although it's the middle of the zombie apocalypse, we want to preserve the simplicity of life back before the outbreak.

The night was brisk and cold, as usual. 

It was a rather cold winter night, watching the stars as we could do anything we wanted. It was fun to do so, walk around the area care-free. But we realized it was beginning to get late, so we packed up and left to our cabins.

-

-

-

"Hey, Liam!" I heard Caden shout from the door. "There's someone outside the gates!"

I stand up from the bed, putting my clothes on. "What? Are they infected in any way?" I shout, running my hand through my hair.

"Wait..." there was a small pause. "Nope! No signs of infection!"

"Okay, open the gates!" I walked through the town to the gates, with my shotgun holstered. I heard the thick gates open; the metal scraping against the concrete.

"Okay, watch out for any runners!" Lucas yelled.

I saw the civilian sprint inside the city, he had chocolate brown skin, curly jet black hair, a perfectly defined jaw, and blood red eyes.

"Welcome to the colony. What's your name?" I asked him.

"Lincoln. My name is Lincoln." He muttered.

"What's the last thing you remember?" Lincoln and I started walking to an empty cabin.

"I remember it like if it was yesterday." He said.

"What do you mean by 'it?'" I asked.

"You know, the outbreak? The last thing I remember was being bitten, and then just today, I wake up surrounded by these... THINGS." He looked down, his body shaking. "What day is it?"

"... It's February 17, 2018. The question is how you are still human, yet you were bitten?"

Shaun came up to us, "I think I know how. Where is the bite, Lincoln?"

Lincoln pulled the collar of his shirt, revealing the bite.

"I remember doing some research before the outbreak, from what I know, usually, after six months to a year, the mind and body are able to take back, and that's why you're still... human, and after said time, the human host is rendered immune to the virus." Shaun put his hands in his pockets. "Every single hybrid has contracted the virus; the virus, for the hybrids, is how they are able to survive."

Lincoln had this kind of confused face like he didn't understand. "Interesting, can you explain more?"

"I talk more about this in my biology class, which the current unit is about magic and talks similar to that."

I intervene in the conversation. "By the way, Lincoln, welcome to the Kelowna Colony. Your cabin is over there." I pointed to the old wooden cabin, I look at my analog watch. "Well, it's almost nine AM, I've got to go to my classes."

"What's the first period?" Lincoln asked, walking with Caden and me.

"Oh, we have biology first period," I replied.