Episode 7B

Weeks passed and Ryo was right, the world had changed. The world had come to a stand still and militant groups were taking over. In fact, Ryo didn't even let you out of the apartment without him or Akira.

It felt like you couldn't even escape your big brother however. Over the city broadcast, his voice rang out.

"Make no mistake, demons are stronger than humans. However, humans have survived many times before in the face of physically superior enemies. I have no doubt the war against demonkind will see humanity triumph again."

His lies ate their way into your brain and you tried to cling to Akira as he drove you around on his motorcycle. He slowed down after this message concluded.

"No... It wasn't supposed to be like this." He rubbed your hands and his senses shot up. He had felt so protective of you lately and even he hesitated bringing you out from Ryo's apartment.

"I know. I'm... I'm a little scared." You rubbed his back with your face.

"Mm. I think I'm gonna FaceTime Ryo. Be on the look out." He quickly dialed Ryo's number and waited for him to pick up.

"Ryo, I just saw someone get killed." He began.

"I see. Is my baby sister safe?" He didn't see you in the immediate frame and a small spark of panic ignited within him.

"Right here, Ryo!" You popped up behind Akira.

"Anyways. He was a human. He was crazy, but he wasn't a demon."

"I see. Did he hurt her?"

"No! Ryo, why don't you care? Tons of people who aren't demons are dying right."

Ryo is not going to be upset by this. You resisted rolling your eyes.

"Some demons have died as well. Akira." He sighed. "This is a war between demons and humans. And every war has casualties."

"You knew this would happen?!" Akira turned his anger on Ryo and luckily not you, even though you were complicit in this downfall.

"This amount of sacrifice is unavoidable. It takes time and effort to prove someone isn't a demon. What's going to change by you going around and saving one or two people?" Ryo set his laptop down and began walking around the living room. "The big picture stays the same. Leave it to the government."

"Are you saying just stand by and do nothing!?" Akira was fuming and you tried to rub his chest to calm him down, but this had the opposite effect. He was reminded that you were now in danger and protecting you was much harder now. Oops.

"It's a necessary evil."

"RYO! You can't say that if there's human blood in your veins." Akira unknowingly hit the nail on the head. You were a little bummed that you couldn't correct him right then and there, but you figured that he'd find out soon enough.

"It just means humans are more vulnerable than I thought they were. Some sacrifice is inevitable."

"No, it's not!" Akira hung up on him and bristled. "We've got to go see Koda. Stay away from him."

"Why?" You asked as you kept a tight hold on him.

"You're my girl. I'm sure he'll smell you too." Akira growled as his motorcycle roared to life.