Chapter 24: Red On White

I have never imagined my wedding day.

I wasn't a love sick puppy or a hopeless romantic when I was growing up. I didn't play with dolls or even play dress up. I never dreamed of myself in white walking down the aisle. This day may be part of the plan but it doesn't necessarily mean I am nervous.

With no intention of notifying Wayne or Tony that I am getting married, I have no one on the bride's side other than Bas. Stefan was considerate enough to ensure his family and guests filled both sides of the aisle.

The setting can't be more beautiful with yellow roses adorning the black and white scene. It looks dramatic but why not splurge on my wedding, meaningless as it is? He planned the entire wedding with the assistance of a professional planner while I sat back and watched. Weddings aren't really my scene but since I have to make an appearance, I am wearing a dramatic white dress to it.

I sm walking down the aisle at the same time with him on the extreme right and I on the extreme left of the black chiavari chairs. They are in between, bordered with white pillars adorned with an assortment of yellow flowers. He smiled at me as we neared the front. We slowly converged holding hands and facing the officiator.

I handed my bouquet over to a little girl excited to receive it. Placing my left hand in Stefan's right hand we faced each other. He looks more handsome than his usual self. When he smiled at me, something melted inside me. In another time, if I was someone else, I would have fallen in love with him.

Have I taken my acting too far and now I am getting caught up in it? Merideth thinks so.

"You look beautiful my love." He came closer whispering into my ear. "I can't wait to marry you."

Facing the officiant, we are ready to begin.

"We are gathered here, not to witness the beginning of what will be, but rather what already is. We do not create this marriage, because marriage is created in the hearts of two people in love, Naila and Stefan. We can however, gather to celebrate with them the wondrous and joyful occurrence that has already taken place in their lives, and the commitment they make today." He paused to smile at us. "True marriage begins well before the wedding day, and the efforts of marriage continue well beyond the ceremony's end." I stole a glance of Stefan. He is taking the ceremony seriously while I feel guilty for leading him on and even down the aisle. Now I am about to vow falsehood. "A brief moment in time and the stroke of the pen are all that is required to create the legal bond of marriage, but it takes a lifetime of love, commitment, and compromise to make marriage everlasting. Today you declare your commitment to each other before family and friends. Your yesterdays were the path to this moment, and your journey to a future of togetherness becomes a little clearer with each new day." I am tempted to run but I remain still, feeling uncomfortable but wearing the biggest smile in the world. "I believe we can proceed to the vows. Stefan, the gents go first."

Our guests laughed as we faced each other. My cheeks feel frozen but I kept smiling questioning my final step to check mate.

"Naila, I promise to always be there for you, to shelter and hold your love as the most precious gift in my life. I will be truthful and honor you, as I embrace as the most important part of my life. I will care for you always and stand by you in times of sorrow and joy, forever nurturing the love I feel for you."

When the officiant gazed at me, I took a deep breath.

"I, Naila Bellingerre, take you Stefan Romanov, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part." I said my part with an award winning smile. I have no personal vows. "I love you Stefan."