CHAPTER TWO

The Mortal Cup

~

"My mom has been so over protective recently." Clary spoke up as we sat on top of the van. I was sat in between Maureen and Clary while my brother sat on the other side of the redhead.

"So, do you remember in Aliens when the alien queen was defending her eggs from Ripley?" Simon asked.

"In this scenario, is my mom Ripley or the alien queen?" Clary asked, sounding confused.

"Both." Simon replied.

"What?" Maureen and I questioned.

"A mother defending her young." Simon responded.

"Defending me from what?" Clary asked, turning to look at him. "I spend all day in an art audio."

"It's true." I spoke up "her life couldn't be mundane." I nudged Clary who smiled at me, nodding her head. "Also because she's boring as hell"

"Ariana's right, but I'm not boring." She turned to give me a small glare, I just smirked at her before she rolled her eyes and look away from me "and besides, I don't really know much about when she was young." Clary spoke up as I leaned my head to rest on her shoulder, already feeling bored.

"Oh, just do what I do and get all the dirt from your relatives." Maureen spoke up, oh how I wish Maureen wouldn't have said that, now here comes 'The I have no other family' speech.

"Well, I would if I could, but she doesn't have any." Clary replied, laughing slightly. "And my dad died before I was born."

"So, you have no one?" Maureen asked in shock "no uncles, no aunts, no third cousins, twice removed?"

"No, just me and my mom." Clary responded, shaking her head, her long curly hair rubbing against my face making me groan and lift my head off her shoulder.

"It's why the Lewis clan has added three chairs to every Seder since pre-school." Simon spoke up, I looked at Maureen and nodded my head.

"One for Clary one for Joycelyn and one for Elijah." I spoke up, listing them off.

"Of course." Clary agreed with me. Maureen didn't look like she believed any of this as she spoke "you guys don't think that's a little bit suspicious?" Clary and I turned to look at her "you not knowing about your family? Your mom could be hiding some deep, dark secret."

"Are we talking about the same Joycelyn here?" I laughed shaking my head "she's incapable of concealing anything from Clary, she tells her everything"