chapter 8

Peeta:

About 5 hours later, the lights go back out. "Well, generator's out!" Gale says. "Oh, wonderful," Katniss replies. Someone sits in my lap, must be Katniss, but she's heavier than normal. Madge or Prim must be sitting in her lap. "Great," I think, "I'm at the bottom of a dog pile." The lights flicker briefly,  and I can see Katniss is braiding Madge's hair. The lights go back out, silence steals the room, and I can hear the faint wails of people and animals outside. Anyone who isn't protected will be dead, there's no doubt. "There," Katniss says, "all done!" I hear Madge giggle. It's hard to think that a toddler can handle this situation that we'll. "Lean back," Katniss whispers in my ear, and she stradels my leg and starts to kiss me. The generator begins to hum. The lights come back on.  "Well then......" Gale says. "I'm gonna go and see if its okay to go outside." He opens the door, and walks outside. "Its okay to come out!" he yells. Katniss grabs my waist and helps me out. The sky is dark, and the ground is littered with bodies, parts of bulidings, and an array of house-hold goods. I'm waiting for the body count, but I'm guessing that the count is probably near 30,000, which isn't good, considering that the district only has 60,000 residents. "My guess as to who did this, district 3," Gale says. "We have to make a special phone call," Katniss says. And immediatly I know who she means.