Enlisted Heart

(3rd Person POV)

Gene had decided. He was going to enlist in the war with Brinker. No one was stopping him from doing so. He and Brinker agreed to enlist tomorrow morning, and with that, he left for his dorm room. Satisfied, and with a small grin on his face, Gene turned and opened the door to his own room. The smile left his face when he saw who was sitting on the bed, having not expected him to be there. Hadn't known that he'd hear everything. Finny, with a look full of disbelief on his face, could only stare at Gene.

"You're...enlisting?" he asked, his voice filled with sadness. Gene could only look at his friend- no, his secret love- and sigh.

"Yes, I am," Gene said with a hint of uncertainty. He only questioned himself now because Finny was back. Finny, the one person he felt needed him.

"But why? Why not wait until we're done with school?" Another thought crossed Finny's mind: 'Why leave me?'

'Because I didn't think you'd be here to talk me out of it, that's why. Because you're perfect and I want to protect you. That's what Gene wanted to say. That's what was running through his mind. But it isn't what came out of his mouth. What came out of his mouth was: "I owe someone."

Finny stood up from his place on the bed. "Who? Who is it that you owe enough to to have to enlist in a war, where you could die?! I'll tell them not to send you to war, to keep you here!" 'With me.' Another fleeting thought.

"Myself," Gene answers with more sureness, but not much more. Finny stood there with his mouth slightly agape.

"So you're going to war, where you could walk into your own death at any moment, because you feel like it?" he asks, not wanting it to be true.

"No, it's because-"

"Because why, then, Gene? Why risk your life?!"

"Because no one around here needs me!"

"I NEED YOU!" Finny's face turned beet red as he covered his mouth, realizing what he said. Gene's eyes widened as he allowed himself to think that, just maybe, Finny returned his feelings.

"Y-you didn't hear that!" Finny stuttered, still red. Finny never stuttered. Gene's face fell, and he looked at Finny with sorrow in his gaze, his next words were barely above a whisper, but Finny heard them loud and clear:

"I'm sorry, Finny, but I have to do this." And with those words, Finny could feel his heart shatter, could feel his insides being ripped apart.

"Please..." Finny pleaded quietly. Gene's heart yearned for him to wrap his arms around Finny and tell him that everything would be alright, that they would be alright. But Gene was ruled by his head, not his heart. And his head was telling him to enlist in the war.

"I'm sorry...." Gene apologized once more. Finny was on the verge of tears, and Gene could see it, which only made both of them hurt more. Finny fell back onto the bed, trying not to cry in front of his friend. His crush.

"I...I need to go wash up..." Gene said quietly. Finny didn't respond as Gene left the room. He only stared after Gene as the love of his life walked out of their dorm and closed the door, then continuing to stare at the door.

"You're a brilliant person, Gene. So why aren't you seeing that all you need is right here in front of you?" Finny mumbled to himself. And with that, he broke, letting the tears fall from his eyes silently.

Word Count: 613

A/N- The first thing I've ever written is now on "glorious" display. Yep, this is it, people.