Songfic- Gasoline

Trigger Warning in effect. There is a small section where self harm is mentioned/heavily implied. I will have two asterisks (**) where that section begins and where it ends so that you can skip over it.

Are you insane like me?/Been in pain like me?

Gene wandered absentmindedly through the streets of New York, thinking about his days at Devon. But mainly the best of times, when his best friend was alive. He hadn't allowed himself to cry about Phineas Pell for two years. Even though he wanted to sob every time he remembered that Finny wasn't there. That Finny had died because of a piece of bone marrow entered into his blood stream and hijacked  his heart. If he had to be honest, he sometimes felt that the grief was driving him crazy.

Bought a hundred dollar bottle of champagne like me?/Just to pour that motherf****r down the drain like me?

A part of Gene had planned on getting drunk tonight so that he didn't have to think about the fact that it was the anniversary of Finny's death. But he didn't. Instead, he either ignored the alcohol, or poured it out. Instead, he wandered his lonely house on the edge of the city, wondering why things had to be the way they were.

Would you use your water bill to dry the stain like me?

Gene was lost in thought while dusting and accidentally knocked over a picture frame, the glass of front shattering. He rifled through the broken glass, which wasn't the best idea, especially since his hand was now bloody and had a small shard inside it, and picked up the photo. It was of him, Finny, Brinker, and Leper, from when they had all gone to Devon together. Gene felt tears come to his eyes as he looked at a smiling Finny, but forced them back, claiming that it was the pain from his hand that was upsetting him. He set the picture down and went over to the sink. He then grabbed a pair of tweezers, got the small shard of glass out of his hand, and turned on the sink, letting his hand run under ice cold water.

Are you high enough without the Mary Jane like me?/Do you tear yourself apart to entertain like me?

**Gene stared at himself in the mirror as he felt the blood run down his arm. This happened every now and again. He would blame himself for Finny, and then moments later, he would be where he was now: at a bathroom sink with cuts on his arm and blood flowing. He stuck his bleeding arm under the cold sink water and watches as blood and water mixed into one.**

Do the people whisper 'bout you on the train like me?/Saying that "you shouldn't waste your pretty face" like me?

Apparently Quackenbush followed Gene to New York, because the two saw each other on the subway. Quackenbush gave a smirk as he wandered toward Gene, the latter of the two rolling his eyes and thinking, 'here we go'.

"Didn't think I'd see you again after all these years, Forrester," Quackenbush sneered. Gene glared.

"Go away, please," Gene said nonchalantly. Quackenbush crosses his arms.

"Someone's icy. Unsurprising though, especially after Phineas." Gene stiffened, not wanting to go there, especially with Quackenbush.

"Shut up and go bother someone else." In response, Quackenbush just laughs.

"I️ know about how you felt. Anyone could see it. The guy with anger and jealousy and ambition falling for the flower prince. Well, he's dead now. And here you are, still the same way you were back then." At that moment, the train screeched to a stop, and Gene stormed off the train the second the doors open, leaving a smug Quackenbush behind him. He walked briskly the rest of the way home, memories of Finny replaying in his mind. Along with the memory of when Gene found out that he was dead.