40 Minutes

(Gene's POV)

40 minutes. 40 minutes to find them. 40 minutes to get there. 40 minutes to save him. Being late was not an option. If I wasn't there in 40 minutes, he'd die. How did everything go so wrong? Our job was simple: get in, recover files that had been previously stolen from us, get out. That's it. But someone betrayed us, telling the enemy about our plans. Preparing them. Because of them, we were intercepted. Because of them, our enemy was prepared. Because of them, we failed our mission. Because of them, I got shot with a tranquilizer dart and lost my partner. My boyfriend. Finny. I needed to find him. Save him. But I only had 40 minutes. The message telling me that is seared into my mind. Especially since it was paired with an image of Finny, broken and bloody. That hurt more than a bullet in the gut. I need to get to him. But the clock is ticking. Too fast for my liking. Miraculously, I was able to trace his phone using mine. 30 minutes. That's how long it would take to reach Finny. I race to my car, turn it on, and slam my foot on the gas. Every minute counts. There are now 37 minutes. I disregard speed limits, but watch for cops. They would slow me down. I'd be late. Finny would die. I can't allow Finny to die. It takes me 25 minutes to get to Finny's location. 12 minutes left. I shoot down guards at the door after stopping the car. I steal a key card from one of them, breaking into the facility. 11 minutes left. Other agents from the opposing side get in my way. I fight through all of them, even having to shoot some of them down. Finny keeps me going. 6 minutes left. I run through a maze of hallways, eventually finding a locked door. 2 minutes left. I pick the lock, and break in during the last minute. Finny is on the opposite end of the room, two high-ranking agents from the other side accompanying him. They see me come in. They grin evilly. Finny looks up at me, giving me a look full of love. That's when I figure out what's going to happen. I take a step forward, but at that moment, Finny is shot in the skull, the sound of the bullet resonating in the enclosed space. I watch him slump forward. Dead. I want to cry out in agony, pain, and heartbreak, but I don't.

Because the next gunshot reunites me with Finny.

Word Count: 433

A/N- Basically a spy AU. I wrote this at 11 at night. Because I could.