Songfic- The Reynolds Pamphlet

The Reynolds Pamphlet./Have you read this?!

People flooded the streets, all holding copies of the pamphlet written by Elwin Lepellier in response to accusations about the embezzlement of government funds. Those who had read it were constantly asking others if they had as well.

Alexander Hamilton had a torrid affair/And he wrote it down right there!

"Highlights!" the newsboy shouted as he handed out copies of the pamphlet that served as both a defense and a confession.

"The charge against me is a connection with one James Reynolds/for purposes of improper speculation./My real crime is an amorous connection to his wife/for a considerable time with his knowing consent. Damn!"

Bobby Zane, Chet's husband, had known about the affair. In fact, it was in December when he had asked for a $1,000 compensation from Leper, to which he'd obliged. The affair had ended after that. However, Zane still demanded financial compensation under the guise of friendship. In a few months, he'd managed to blackmail Leper out of another $300 at least. Any correspondences between him and Zane stopped.

"I had frequent meetings with her, most of them in my own house./At his own house?/At his own house?/Damn."

He and Chet had often met at Leper's house, multiple times a week, usually at night.

"Mrs. Hamilton, with our children, being absent on a visit to her father./No./Boo./Have you read this?"

Brinker had been out of town to see his family during the affair, and Leper had kept the whole thing from him. Until now, with the pamphlet published. The pamphlet that was supposed to clear his name of the false accusations of speculation that had been put upon it. The pamphlet that also exposed the secret he'd kept from the man he loved.

"Well, he's never gon' be president now./Never gon' be president now./He's never gon' be president now./Never gon' to be president now./That's one less thing to worry about./That's one less thing to worry about."

Leper had fallen from the political greatness he'd once had. Any hopes of rising above his station from here were almost destroyed. Anyone who opposed him though this was great, because they didn't have to think about what it would be like if Leper was in a higher position of power.

"I came as soon as I heard./What?!/Angelica-/All the way from London?!/Damn!/Angelica, thank God someone who understands what I'm struggling here to do."

Gene came storming through the streets, looking for Leper. Once he'd found him, Leper grinned.

"Gene, thank goodness you're here. You understand what I'm trying to do here, right?" he asked, noting Gene's glare. Gene crossed his arms and shook his head.

"I'm not here for you," he hissed. Leper looked a tad taken aback.

"I know my sister like I know my own mind./You will never find anyone as trusting or as kind./I love my sister more than anything in this life./I will choose her happiness over mine every time."

"Why would you do this? Why have the affair? My brother trusted you, loved you, and this is how you repay him?! He's the nicest person in the world, and deserves so much more than this. I care more about him than anything. I'd rather he be happy than me be happy. In fact, I'd give everything to see him happy." Gene shook his head. "You've been blessed with the greatest husband someone could ask for, and yet..."

"Put what we had aside./I'm standing at her side."

"You could never be satisfied." He paused and laughed humorlessly. "God, I hope your satisfied," he snarled before leaving. Leper watched him go, being completely alone for the first time in a long time.

Word Count: 634

A/N- This was a request by one of the followers of mine and my friend's tumblr, so I wrote it. I wanted to stick pretty close to what actually happened in the musical, so that's why this is the way it is.