Chapter 4-Supernatural Employer

Freya just stared at the paper for three long minutes and then stuffed her hand into her mouth to stifle the rising scream. The words slowly disappeared, letter by letter, as if someone was scraping them off the page. “Oh my god!” Freya could not help exclaiming.

Surprised I see…no need to be afraid. This is totally official….. ;)

The words seemed to dance in front of Freya’s vision. Did the page just winked at her? The page was flirting with her! She was feeling sick by the second.

“Am I talking to a page?” she somehow forced out a meek sound from her throat which was choking on bile.

Oh no, Freya your talking to your employer actually!! Congratulations on getting the job!!!!

“Oh my god!” she exclaimed not for the first time. “What is this thing??? How is it talking to me?” Freya said.

My lady, once again I need to remind you that you are talking to an actual person on the other end. This page is called Sandhi. It was used by Brahmin priests for communication in Taxshila, which was an educational centre in the Indian subcontinent.  The technology used in it was lost for many centuries until recently it was rediscovered in 1600s. It is safe from enemy hand due to its disposability and it is even recyclable. Go green!!!

Freya scowled at the page and then she realized she was scowling at a page! Her employer possibly could not see her, like in a webcam. “So you are going to tell me what my job is actually about?” Freya asked.

Yups my lady! You’ll get assignments every few days which you have to complete in given time. You’ll have enough money from this job to fulfill your father’s look after and keep you going for life.

“What?? What do you know about my father?” anger and rage was boiling inside Freya. Who was this employer? How did he have all this information? “Who told you my mother’s second name?” she yelled at the page and immediately felt lame and stupid.

Listen Freya it is not the time to argue with someone who is trying to help you, alright. Your task awaits you in the barren parking lot of the under-construction mall on 4th avenue. Reach sharp at three, today. The customer is not to be left waiting. Good luck.

Just as the message began to fade the electronic school bell rang signaling the end of lunch and the start of her first assignment.

-------------------------------Xxx------------------------

Freya’s head was buzzing with several possibilities as she elbowed through the crowd of students in the hallway. Why would a customer meet her in an isolated parking lot of a half build mall? And what technology did that page possessed which she didn’t know about? Freya absent-mindedly patted her jean pocket, finding relief in the fact that the page was still there. Whatever the matter was, this job wasn’t some usual employment, it seemed ………magical? Freya chided herself. Magic was an excuse for scaring off kids, but nothing logical explained the way the job details approached her. This was getting hard on her rational mindset. To much mysterious…to many secrets. “Hey Freya! Where were you? We all have been driving ourselves mad trying to find you.” Freya turned on her heels to find Diana and Anna squeezing through the overflowing hallway towards her {Anna was more of a trampling whoever came in the way}. Before Freya could give an explanation Anna was off with her dose of you don’t spend time with us lecture. “Come on Freya you don’t go shopping, gaming or anywhere with us. I know you have to study and all but seriously your absence is becoming too overwhelming, I mean tell us what is up with you?” she finished with a deafening groan. Freya opened her mouth to answer but Diana also needed to empty her tank of deductions. ”Ohhhhhhh! Wait! Tell me it is a boy matter?” Diana almost squealed with delight. Oh no Freya thought who saw that coming! Anna’s jaw opened so wide that a Commodo dragon could have been stuffed right through it. “Oh man! I should have known! My best friend has a boyfriend!” she screamed, causing some of the boys, who were standing against the wall to turn towards their conversation. Freya gave them an apologetic smile. “Anna calm down! It is nothing like that.” Freya spoke through gritted teeth trying to force a smile at the same time. “Do you have a better reason then?” Diana looked at her with a smirk curving her lips. Anna also gazed at her, waiting for an explanation. She had none. “Um………I was just…” she paused. Anna raised a questioning eyebrow. “Doing some research on Latin in the library for the past few days!” please believe please …Freya thought. She can’t tell them about her financial matters, it will only add to the problem. She didn’t want to be considered a social pariah, did not want to become a laughing stock of the school. “Freya we were just saying to spend some moments with us, have fun, no? It’s totally fine if you do not have time ok!” Diana said kindly. Freya did not know why she was feeling bad for lying to her buddies, it just felt wrong, like she was betraying them. Guilty said a voice at the back of her head and Freya shoved it back harshly.