Chapter 8-Summoning a Cheeseburger

Chapter 8-summoning a cheeseburger

“Why did you have to tell her about it? Is their nothing called privacy or well ….trust?!” Jack tried to elaborate his indignation and control the steering of his Porsche at the same time.

Ryan huffed out and leaned backwards, taking in the softness of the leather covered seat.

“Why did you have to eavesdrop on someone’s conversation, hiding outside the kitchen?” Ryan said.

“Why do you have to always answer my question with a bloody question of yours?” Jack answered, changing the gear and scowling at the rearview mirror, possibly at the driver of the car behind their Porsche who had been honking like a psychopath for the past five minutes.

“If she has to stay with you, she needs to know about you. All I did was help you both understand each other well and not be bend on squeezing each other’s neck while you’re at it.”

“Thanks for your understanding nature and true friendship but I could have done without it. Anyway, I have no connection with Freya. She didn’t even know who I was until yesterday.”

Ryan studied Jack from the corner of his eyes, imagining all the possible outcomes his next statement might trigger in him.

“But you did. Didn’t you? You stalked her all this time. Don’t act like you don’t care or never did, Jack. I know all those times you went out for a walk wasn’t just some midnight stroll in the garden. Even if I told anyone, they won’t believe me when I say that an eleven year old boy had been keeping tabs on a girl, who just has to be the daughter of his trainer, for five straight years. You do care; you just hate to admit it. Anyway, I didn’t tell her anything about your connection with Jocelyn.” Pleased with his retaliation, Ryan peered out of the window watching the world rush by, morning light reflecting in his enigmatic violet eyes.

After an uncomfortable pause Jack replied in a low, soft voice.

“I just did it out of duty and honor. Before leaving, her mother had put me in charge of her protection. She was foolish enough to believe that Freya was the true blood. Fates had played an enormous joke with us. With Jocelyn. God, if I knew it. If I only knew that Freya is not the one, I might have talked some sense into Jocelyn and stopped her. Just somehow. Somehow………” Ryan turned when he heard his friend’s voice cracking but the cold expressionless defense was back up, no sign of feelings.

Ryan sighed. This boy was really hard to handle. Freya and Jack had at least one thing in common though they might not admit it, stubbornness.

“Are you questioning Jocelyn’s instincts?” jack tried to intervene but Ryan cut him off.

“Jack, according to your theory Freya is not the true blood because her eyes are not amethyst. That is a really illogical excuse if I say so. What do you think? Jocelyn was sane enough to observe the color of her daughter’s eyes; even so she appeared to believe in her being the prophecy child……………………”

“But whatever might be the reason, we have to keep Freya’s existence a secret, alright? No one can know that the last Greyheart had a successor. Only the Chief Maskeer and Alice know that Jocelyn has a child with a mundane. Anyhow she is not the true blood so consequently the prophecy will not be coming true anytime soon. So just get that idea out of that brain of yours.”

“But Jack, we cannot ignore the fact……………………….”Suddenly Ryan was disturbed by a rumbling noise. For once both their attentions concentrated on a different issue.

Jack turned scarlet visibly.

“That was me.” He said, embarrassed.

“See, you had not even consumed a piece of junk. How can you perform infield without it?” Ryan ranted like an overprotective mother.