Chapter Five

June 6th 8:18 am

It was early morning and the city was quiet. Aside from the occasional screeching, the wind was the only thing that made any noise. And with only static coming through the radio, Damon felt it was unnecessary for the volume to be very high. This is why he almost didn't hear the voice on the other end.

"Hello, this is Alpha Bunker, is anyone there?"

Damon was curled up with Lauren, reading the nature book over her shoulder. When he heard the voice he jolted up. For a second he thought he was hearing things, but then the voice came back.

"Hello, this is Alpha Bunker, is anyone there?"

He quickly picked up the walkie talkie he had rigged to work as a microphone.

"Yes, Hello. I'm here, I'm here."

"Hello?" The voice sounded surprised, "Is someone there? Who is this?"

"This is Damon White. I'm here with Lauren Thomas. We are trapped in Alsoft. Who is this."

"This is Milton Colt. I'm am a guard at Alpha Bunker."

"Alpha Bunker? I've never heard of that."

"We are on Lula beach. We're about 12 miles directly west of Alsoft."

Lauren was listening and almost began sobbing out of happiness. "We're saved!"

"Not yet." Damon turned his attention back to the radio.

"Okay, where exactly are you on Lula beach?"

"Past some of the beach huts going north once you reach the beach. You will see a old bomb shelter. Radio me when you get there and I will let you in. Do you have any portable communications?"

"Yeah, I have a walkie talkie but it doesn't have any batteries."

"Well then you better find some batteries. My radio will be on channel 132 and you'll have to radio me to get in. Get some batteries and then get over here. I'll make sure to tell everyone else you'll be coming."

"How many people are there?"

"I'm not sure. I think close to one hundred."

"One hundred?" Damon and Lauren said in unison.

"Yes sir. We are our own little colony. But I have to warn you, we take security very seriously. So make sure you are presentable."

"Will do. Thank you so much. We will be seeing you soon."

"Alright. Good luck."

Damon looked at Lauren. "Hurry and help me pack everything up. We have to leave soon if we don't want to traveling at night."

They rushed around and filled the rucksack Damon had gotten from the army base and the duffel bag Lauren had brought with her with food and supplies that they would need. Damon detached the walkie talkie microphone from the radio and within the hour they were completely packed and ready to go. They climbed down the rope with their luggage and exited the apartment building. Lauren took one last look at what was their home for the past few weeks. She hoped it was the last time she would have to sleep somewhere in fear of attack.