Chapter Six

June 3rd 8:40 pm

It was night time, and with no news on the radio everyone was starting to get discouraged. Frank was laying in his makeshift bed in what at one point was a freezer. Unfortunately the cooling unit had broken down and most of the food went bad. The freezer was still well insulated so Frank decided to use it as his room.

He was lying down, looking up at the grey ceiling and thinking of Penny kissing him earlier that day. As if summoned by his thoughts, Penny poked her head through the freezer door.

"Mind if I come in for a bit?"

"Not at all." Frank sat up and patted the pillow next to him. Penny sat down on the pillow and crossed her legs.

"I'm all packed up. I'll be gone for the next few days."

"I know." Frank said. "Just be careful. Stick to the main roads okay. They are probably safer than walking through the jungle."

Penny looked at him and took a deep breath. She then leaned forward and began to kiss him.

"Penny-"

"Shut up." She said, "Just let it happen."

She climbed on top of him and began to undress.

June 4th 5:40 am

It was early morning, Penny had redressed after her night with Frank and was walking down the hall towards the roof ladder. She had left a note for Frank to explain what she was doing. Everyone else was asleep so the store was quiet. She climbed the ladder and when she reached the roof she looked out towards the town. When she was a young girl her mother would take her here sometimes to get food from the farmer's market. Now the town of Ruiha was still, with nothing but the sound of the wind and the occasional bird squawking and rodent scampering. She climbed down the ladder and headed towards her family's tree fort. It would be a day and a half walk if she moved quickly and was not interrupted, which she highly doubted would happen. She took a breath and began to jog. I have to find my family she thought I will find my family.