The Shadeslayer

The days were long, winter had come, only three more days were left for the entrance ceremony, Linley was excited as ever and constantly asked Maud about all he needed to know about the academy and its rules.

Maud would usually sit with Linley for hours, describing the academy and explaining Linley the proper manners of addressing an elder student and teachers. He said that when Linley should see an elder he was to place his dominant hand as a fist on his chest and stand still.

Linley listened carefully to Maud, Maud explained to him how it was not allowed to fight anywhere but in the school arena, how weapons were to be placed in special sheaths and a lot of other etiquettes.

Linley was surprised to know that the teachers chose the children they wanted to teach. For every element, there were two teachers and they were allowed to select only five students each.

After they spoke Linley asked Maud" Shall we begin today's training teacher?" Maud looked away for a moment, his face had an expression of happiness he looked at Linley, his eyes looked like sapphires, which constantly stared at him, then Maud stood up and said," Today, we will not train but you will come with me".

Linley agreed without hesitation, but still with a little doubt in his mind asked," Where are we going, teacher?" Maud looked at him and said, "You will know when we reach".

Linley was in deep thought as they walked constantly towards the village, the people stared at Maud as if they were scared of him, it seemed quite obvious to Linley as Maud was wearing his black hooded cloak which made him look scary.

Linley was amused and smiled as he saw people walk the other way or show a scared expression on seeing Maud. Linley laughed and giggled but still kept thinking about where they were going.

As they were walking, two suddenly came from behind Linley and grabbed his face tightly covering his eyes, Linley panicked, but then he heard a familiar voice say "Guess who?" Linley smiled and "Who else but a crazy girl". As he said so Sasha moved her and came ahead of him smiling and said, "Where are you going, Lin?".

Linley scratched his head a bit, he himself did not know where he was going thus he said "Only one way to find out", Linley heard Maud calling him thus he and Sasha both walked towards him.

They found Maud standing in front of a blade smith's shop, he stopped and noticed that it was the same shop where Maud had stopped on the day they met.

Linley saw Maud laughing and speaking in a jolly manner to the bladesmith, Maud called Linley and when he appeared he said" Meet M.R Tarrion", he paused and said, "M.R Tarrion is the best bladesmith I have ever known and has been forging weapons for mages for a long time".

Linley looked at Tarrion, he looked really strong and muscular, he was a brute in looks and had small scars all over his arms, His face was hard and tough. Linley hesitated but then went ahead and shaked hands with the man "Nice to meet you, young man, I hear you are Maud's apprentice eh?" Linley smiled and said, "Yes, sir".

Tarrion laughed heavily and said" Drop the honorific son, just call me Tarrion, Ok?", Linley smiled and nodded. "Good!" said Tarrion and then turning towards Maud said, "So, the time has come I guess?" Maud smiled and said" Yes".

Linley was confused on hearing this, he saw Tarrion go in his shop and then bring a huge box and then he placed it in front of Maud, it was locked, Maud placed his hand on the Lock and then Linley saw a bright surge of magic travel through Mauds hand into the lock and it disappeared.

The lock disappearing surprised Linley but still he wanted to know what was in that box, Maud blew on the box and a cloud of dust flew from over it, Linley inspected the box carefully, It was quite elegant, it had several inscriptions on it and was black in color.

Maud suddenly opened it, Linley peeped in and saw a huge mass of a bluish metal in it, Linley still looking at the metal said" What is this teacher?", Maud did not reply but Tarrion said" This is a special kind of metal Linley, It is called dragonsteel, it is used to make weapons for mages, it has special abilities such as, it can store magic in itself, it never breaks and not even the strongest of spells have any effect on it ".

Linley looked at the piece again, the blue piece was bright and big it seeped a blue light whenever light struck it from one of Tarrion's forges.

Maud looked at Tarrion and said" Let us begin", Tarrion noddod and all of them went inside a room, Maud had to send away Sasha as he said "I am really sorry my child, but only mages are allowed to see this" Sasha refused for a while and Maud had a hard time convincing her but she finally agreed when Linley asked her to.

The room they entered it was dark and weary, nothing was visible but soon Maud asked Linley create a fireball and light a torch nearby. Maud looked at Linley and said, "Listen, Linley, a mage's weapon is like a part of his body, a mage never parts with it, today I will show you how to forge a sword with magic, but working with dragonsteel is tough thus do not try it unless necessary ".

Linley nodded and then Maud, Tarrion and Linley sat around the dragonsteel and Maud said "Linley, now you will create your sword, we will mold it the way you want but, you will use your imagination and create the sword you feel suited for you" Linley smiled and said "Ok, teacher".

Linley and all of them sat around them and he saw Maud and Tarrion raise hands and the lump of dragon steel started floating in the air, Linley looked in surprise but Maud shouted and said, "It is hard to keep this up Lin, be quick".

Linley closed his eyes and started imagining a sword for him, he tried hard but he had never really seen a proper sword but only blunt swords. Linley thought and though and finally, he remembered, the elf in his dreams had a sword, Linley always liked it, it was beautiful and it seemed perfect to him, Linley concentrated hard on the dragonsteel and it started to change form.

It moved and slowly it started turning into the weapon Linley had in mind, it looked beautiful, the blade looked elegant and strong, it was iridescent and looked strong, it was a bit thin, but Linley thought that as Tarrion had said, the dragon steel would not break.

Linley went ahead and then grabbed the sword from the air, it did not have a handle thus Linley held it from its tang, it was not at all heavy, it was much lighter than the metal swords they fought with.

Maud and Tarrion stood up as well and came close to inspect the weapon, Linley was admiring the blade when suddenly he heard a loud gasp" What!" Linley turned and looked and Maud, his face was pale he hurried over and snatched the sword out of Linley's hand.

Linley looked at Maud, his face was pale, sweat all over his forehead and his eyes bulged out as he inspected the blade. Linley asked, "Is something wrong teacher?".

Maud looked at Linley and said, "Where did you see this Linley, This looks like the blessed blade, the blade of the dragon godess, The Shadeslayer".