05 - "Call It A Day"

Skylar's POV

Computers.

Brought to the world by the brilliant invention by Alan Turing while in the second World War to decrypt Nazi codes and win the war. His machine is the reason why we have programming and computer systems nowadays.

And to do justice to him, we use them to solve crimes too, which is exactly what Brian and I are doing.

We've set these intelligent machines to do the work for us, inputting the data we got from the crime scene about the vehicle measurements. While the DMV database is being searched, Brian and I look through security tapes sent over to us by the caretaker of the parking lot.

Nothing seems to be unusual other than-

"Stop the tape!" I exclaim and it makes Brian jerk a little. I squeeze his shoulder and apologize then point out that there was a short time skip in the tape.

"Look, ten seconds have passed from one frame to the next," I inform and he nods his head.

"Okay so the guys... Or girls, I'm not saying that women can't be criminals," He clarifies and I roll my eyes, "But the killers are most likely bad at being... Killers. They probably needed a time edit to erase any mistakes."

We continue to watch the security tape and the body dump follows the time skip. Too bad the killers have their faces covered. Seems to be the only responsible thing they've done till now.

"So we're dealing with someone who probably doesn't have any criminal record and is mostly in the shadows," I say and-

TING!

My eyes dart to the laptop placed at the end of the table. It shows a match for the vehicle and I smirk.

"Brian, look," I point to the screen and bring it closer to him, "There are only three vehicles that match the description exactly. What's the number plate on the van in the parking lot?"

I look to the security tape and spot '17356-MA' then look back at the database to find a commercial van having the same plate. I grin with accomplishment and high five Brian, who smiles.

"Now there is a possibility that this van could be owned by someone else, not the killers," I point out as I start typing to find out who the owner is, "We'll have to double check."

I look to Brian, who was busy thinking about something. "Hey... Is it possible to get height of the body dumper that got out of the car from the security tape?" I question, thinking of an idea that would help the investigation go quicker.

"Maybe, we'll have to check with Cyber and then I guess calculate pixel measurements and compare it to the actual height of the light pole," Brian explained and I smile smugly, "I'll go ask about it!"

He gets up and walks towards the door. I notice that he doesn't have that brightness on his face that he had when I met him in the morning. It's as if something's on his mind.

"I'll check on the owner's of the vehicle and find out a little bit about Richard Benson, yeah?" I say, hoping that would change the way he feels but all he gives me is an effort-filled smile.