09 - Small Talk

One week later...

Skylar's POV

I stand on the pavement, a few drops of water fall on my face because it's drizzling. The weather is soothing, it's time to be outside but Brian invited me over to his place. I can't say no to that.

Naz found me a brand new place after the flooding incident. This one's got a better finish and it's more pleasing to stay in. Of course I was sad to leave Brian's place, we've grown quite close as friends, but I need to have a sense of independence. I am my own person. Plus, Brian's place isn't that far, I can walk to it conveniently.

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

I smile while waiting for him to open the door, which happens moments after knocking.

"Hey Sky!" Brian greets as soon as he opens the door and I grin while holding out a plastic bag in front of his face, "What's this?"

"Something for my favourite person in NYC," I tell him and kiss him on the cheek before entering his house. "No way, are these those new ice cream bars with the popsicle centre?!" He questions and I nod with a smile.

He runs to me and kisses my temple, making me laugh. "Careful, there are two beers in the bag too!" I inform and he places the items in the refrigerator.

"Okay so..." He walks over to the TV and switches on his Netflix account, "Cloverfield, A Quiet Place or the classic The Shining?"

I fidget with hands as I stretch my legs out on the couch. "Well I thought we could just talk tonight, we haven't really done that since we've met," I suggest and Brian smiles happily.

He sits next to me and stretches an arm across the couch cushion behind me. "What do you want to talk about?" He asks and I turn to face him.

"Nothing about work. There's nothing going on, no new developments with the case so leave that and talk about everything else," I sort of instruct and he agrees.

Brian sits up straight and crosses his legs, "Okay let's play 'Never Have I Ever'." I grin and turn to face him, with my legs crossed as well.

Brian gets up all of a sudden and walks to the kitchen, receiving two bottles of what look like Tequila.

I raise an eyebrow as he sets the boys and shot glasses on the coffee table. "So we're doing this the proper way then?" I comment and he smiled smugly.

"This is the only way you play this game," He responds and pours a shot for each of us, "We drink if we've done the thing. You start!"

I clear my throat and think of a question. What do I really want to know about Brian?

"Never have I ever smoked marijuana," I say and he sighs, drinking the shot. "That's so basic, dial it up a notch!" He says and shakes his head from the strong taste of the drink.

"Okay my turn..." He laughs evily as he refills his glass, "Never have I ever snuck a girl or a guy into the house."

I bit my lip the took the shot, while he didn't. "Wow really?" He asks and I nod my head.

"Jefferson Eagle, ninth grade. My parents were super uptight about guys coming over and we had to do this project so I pulled him up from the window and he hid in my closet till eleven in the night," I explain to him and he raised his brows.

"Wow we've got a rebel in the CJC!"

"Okay now, this is going to get tough," I state, "Never have I ever heard someone else doing it."