chapter thirteen

disclaimer: you guessed it this chapter also contains some "deep content" oops
________________________________

the bridge

I look at Jayden, then to the lake, then back at Jayden. Her hazelish green eyes were filled with despair as she looked off into the clear water.

"Annie, promise me you won't say a word until I'm finished. No questions, not until I'm done." she offered.

"Of course." I replied, scared to disagree with her suggestion.

"We used to be best friends. You, me, Hayden, the famous trio. That was until Conner came in. I liked Conner. And you knew that. So you dated him. He wasn't just a crush -- I was in love with him. And you took that away from me. I don't know if you remember my mom; after my dad left she did everything in her power to make me happy. Unfortunately over the summer, she passed away due to a tragic car accident. I have to live with my aunt and I barely even see her. So for some dumb reason I took it out on you. I always thought you were some enemy but I completely forgot how amazing you truly are so I put you through a bunch of shit to satisfy myself. You don't have to forgive me but I promise I'll never do it again. I'm so sorry -- I just hate everything so much."

Tears filled my eyes.

"I didn't know you liked Conner that much. And Jayden, I never knew about your mo --"

"--At least you'll get to know how I died."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Goodbye Julianna." she sobbed, stepping on the railing of the bridge.

"No!" I shrieked, pulling her back.

"What are you doing? I deserve this."

"No Jayden. You deserve someone to be by your side through these tough times. I completely understand what you did. When Caleb passed, it felt like there was no one by my side. I just wanted to be with him. But I had a friend like Hayden to tell me everything was going to be okay. That's all you need. I can do that for you. I can be that friend."

"You forgive me?"

"Of course I do. I want to do as much as I can to make you better. I missed you so much."

"Best friends?"

"And sisters."

Hands intertwined, I left the park with my best friend.

Jayden Bartels, my best friend.

And I left the past down in the lake, where it drowned with all of our other mistakes.

________________________________
[ authors note ]

THIS ISN'T THE LAST CHAPTER!

sorry for the short chapters lol

yay #jaynnie is real

- hannah

[ 441 words ]