薄桜鬼11

薄桜鬼11
I was sure he was just sleep drunk. Okita?? Saying something like that? I must've been dreaming... But it made my heart pound and it made me realize the feelings I had developing for him. I felt safe beside him, and never wanted to leave. But before I knew it, dawn came.

"Sleep well?" Okita asked as his face hovered above mine. I turned bright red.
"Oh! Uh, um... I'm so sorry!!" I apologized and moved to bow. He looked at me with bewilderment.
"What are you apologizing for..? You were scared, I'm the one who let you sleep here." He smiled. He truly had the most enchanting smile I'd ever seen. I fell into it. Yeah. I was in love with Souji Okita.
"U-uh, right!" I stuttered. Okita laughed.
"Don't be so jumpy." He grinned wryly.
"I have to go. I'll see you later, Kaori-chan." He left me in his room. Realizing I couldn't be seen in here because rumors would develop and I had to get dressed, I checked for clearance outside then ran as fast as I could to my room. Thankfully I got there without anyone seeing me, and landed in my room with a thud. I took a deep breath and quickly changed into my kimono and hakama and threw up my hair.

Then, I sprinted to start my post with Heisuke. We had alternating posts, morning shifts every other day, as well as night shifts in between each of the skip days.
"You're a bit late." Heisuke chuckled.
"Sorry..." I bowed. Heisuke shrugged and we started our day.

Our post was at a checkpoint near a bridge, and even though it sounded simple, it was far from easy.

"This is a gift for my daughter." A large man said. He looked as if he were a farmer. His clothes were tattered and worn, but not necessarily dirty.

"Could I see that?" I asked. Heisuke looked me over. I ignored him and felt the bag. The man smiled and watched me move the bag. Something about his expression was unnerving. I heard the bag click, and the man's smile turned wicked. I cut open the bag and saw it was a bomb. Before I had time to react, Heisuke took it from my hand and tossed it into the water. I nodded my thanks and chased down the fleeing man. Heisuke dealt with the other people who were in line, and trusted me to catch the criminal. I drew my blade and pounced with all my strength onto the mans back, piercing his shoulder and pinning him to the ground. The man took out of knife and reached behind him, stabbing me in the side deeply. I had been sitting on his back, holding my sword to the ground when the pain became almost unbearable. I twisted the sword in his shoulder and he groaned, and stabbed me again. I didn't have enough strength to hold the sword that pinned him in place, so I had to deal with the wounds he was inflicting. But I couldn't stay like this. I gulped and raised my blade, releasing him. He scrambled to get off the ground, and when was in the right position I used my katana to sever a tendon in his leg. He fell to the ground with a thud, and once I knew he was immobile I limped to his body, binding his wrists. I panted through the pain and dragged the man to the checkpoint, where the villagers and Heisuke had wide eyes.

"Are you okay?!" Heisuke shouted, motioning for his men to take over the post. His suboridinate took hold of the man I caught as Heisuke took me to headquarters for rest.

As I walked behind Heisuke, clutching my side, Okita was out in the engawa and saw my condition. His face took on a furious look, and he stormed out to Heisuke.

"What the hell?! How'd she get like this?! You can't even protect her?!!!!!!" Okita raged.

"Please...Okita-san..."I panted. Okita glanced at me, his countenance sad and hurt. Heisuke stared at the ground silently.

"I'm taking hold from here on. She'll work under me." Okita left no room for argument as he picked me up and carried me to meet Hijikata and Kondo. Heisuke was left with an upset posture.

"Hijikata-san, I request Kaori be transferred to my unit." Okita said boldly. Kondou studied me and nodded, then looked at Hijikata.

"Toshi?" He asked. Hijikata sighed.

"Request denied."

"Why?! She'd be safer with me!"

"You have enough to deal with currently, Souji."

"...Hijikata-san. I insist that she joins my unit." Okita growled. Kondou looked from Okita to Hijikata.

"As commander of the Shinsengumi, I will allow her to join your unit." Kondou announced. HIjikata was stunned, and gazed at his friend with disappointment. Kondou shrugged.

"Thank you." Okita bowed with his head, with me in his arms. Just then, a loud eruption of screams came, and Nagakura came sprinting down the hall with Harada.

"Evacuate!!! EVACUATE!!!!!!!!" He screamed, flinging open the shoji then jumping off the engawa. Okita clutched me a bit tighter, and HIjikata and Kondou stood up quickly.

"What?!" Kondou yelled.

"Just listen and get to the horses! Souji!" Hijikata fled with Kondou, and left me to Okita.

"Hang in there, okay Kaori?!" Okita demanded, rushing to the stables. He jumped onto a horse, and grabbed the reins of another and dragged it out  as he left. Holding on the his horse and the other horse's reins, it was up to me to cling to his chest. But with strength rapidly leaving my body, it was proving hard.

"DO NOT faint! DON'T!!!! Hang in there!!!!!" Okita yelled. The mansion was on fire, and furies swarmed the house. I held as tight as I could to Okita as he and the other horse cleared a fence and rode away. What in the hell was happening?