薄桜鬼14

When I woke up the next day, all of the captains were back. I was still sleeping on Okita, who hadn't moved. Harada and Heisuke were in the room I was in, sitting across from us. I pretended to be asleep to listen in on their conversation.

"You slept with her?" I heard Harada ask, his tone suggestive and a bit annoyed.

"Not in the way you're supposing, but yes." Okita replied, his voice having his chest rumble. I felt him adjust my robe, pulling it higher up. It was a kind gesture, I hadn't realized my robe was so loose beforehand...

"So you two have gotten close." Heisuke stated, his voice flat and much more irritated than Harada's. Okita was silent.

"Isn't that obvious, Heisuke?" Harada said.

"Ughhh." Heisuke groaned.

"Jealous?" Okita joked. The room was filled with an odd tension. Getting bored, I opened my eyes, stretching out as I yawned, then settled back on Okita's chest. Harada yawned as well.

"Morning, sleepyhead." I could sense Okita smiling as he rested his hand on my back. Heisuke's face went red, and he crossed his arms.

"Why are you pouting?" I asked, my tone drowsy. Even though I'd been listening in, I was still tired.

"I'm not pouting." Heisuke responded. Harada and Okita laughed, and I got off Okita's chest and sat up to lean on his shoulder. When did I get so comfortable around him...I noticed Harada looked as if he were staring at me, but his gaze was slightly off. He was looking at Okita, who's face was slightly pink. Harada chuckled and stood up, his actions mimicked by Heisuke.

"I'm off to get breakfast. Heisuke, you coming?"

"Wait, Harada-san, isn't it dangerous?!"

"It's worth the risk." Harada winked, opening the shoji and leaving. Heisuke shut it behind him and his friend. It left the room empty to only Okita and I once again.

"How're you feeling?' He asked, glancing down at me. He rested his chin on my head.

"Much better, thank you." I smiled. He gently grasped my arm by the wrist and brought it his mouth, kissing the wound I inflicted for him. He frowned against my skin. I tried to hide my blushing face from him, but there wasn't much I could keep from him.

"It's okay..." I said. He sighed and moved, adjusting his body to where his face could easily meet mine. He led my chin to his lips, when he then kissed me.  My face flushed, my eyes wide. He was blushing as well, then withdrew.

"Sorry..." He muttered. I was frozen, but mustered up the only ones I could think of.

"Why would you apologize?" By now, our faces were deep red in color. He turned away from me. I could sense he was embarrassed, and I wrapped my arms around his back, my heart pounding against him. He was tense, and I was concerned that he felt awkward. I began to loosen my arms when he grabbed my hand.

"Kaori..." He used my name without an honorific...I'm not big on those but...Whoa..

"If we get out of whatever this is alive, would you...Would you stay with me?" He asked, his voice shaking slightly. I repeated his words in my head, and blushed as I rest my head on his shoulder, whispering into his ear:

"Of course." I answered firmly. He smiled against my neck, kissing it lightly before withdrawing.

"I...don't want to go to far, too fast. Whatever you're ready for."

"No, I agree with you. Let's just enjoy every day together like it's our last...." I trailed off. Okita pulled me tighter against him, and paused awhile after I finished my sentence.

"Don't think like that."

"Okita,-"

"Souji. Call me Souji."

"O-okay...Souji...Well...It's highly possible that I could die the very next day, and your illness..." I lowered my voice so only he could hear, and he shot me a grave but saddened look.

"I'm not leaving you Kaori, let me make that clear." He stated boldly, intertwining his hand with mine. I sighed and rested my head on his shoulder.

"...Alright." We could hear footsteps approaching, and slowly let go of each other. I kept my head on him as Heisuke and Harada re-entered the room with food.

"That was quick." I said.

"Yeah, there was some food in the house, so there was no danger at all."

"I'm glad." I responded to Harada. Heisuke was unusually quiet and seemed angry. I wanted to break the ice.

"So Heisuke, when did you get back?"

"Awhile after Shinpachi. He had gotten really hurt, so I finished off what was left of his enemies and came back."

"Are you wounded?"

"Couple of scratches, but I'm fine."

"Good...What are things like out there? How bad?" I wondered, sitting up. Heisuke swallowed his niboshi and sat up. Beside him, Harada sighed.

"Ugly, dangerous, and red. Lots of it..." Heisuke answered grimly.

"There's so much screaming and growling...It's a bloody massacre..." Harada finished. Heisuke set down his chopsticks and gulped down sake.

"I'm going to go patrol some." He said after downing three cups of sake. Harada eyed his friend and sighed again, standing up and clearing the trays of food.

"Later, you two." He left with the shoji open, and I got up to shut it.

"I'm kind of nervous about this whole situation...Not just for my own sake..."

"It'll be okay. I'm not going to let anything happen to you." We spent the day discussing what may happen to the remainder of us all, and what may be left of the villages and civilians. We talked about the Imperial Court's reaction, but we failed to form a likely hypothesis on the future. Then, we spent the night together again.