Chapter 15: Mystery Night

~❦~

~❦~

The Colonel stood, hands on hips, moustache twitching, in front of a seated Lynx. "And after that, you went outside where everyone else was gathering around the body."

"Yes, I stood with James, then you showed up, and here we are." Lynx relaxed into the chair, finally done with the recap of her story right up until the second she had seen a replica of herself lying face down in a pool of blood.

The colonel had been methodically questioning everyone, and seemed a tad put out that Lynx had a cast-iron alibi. Being with Ellis and James at the time of the gunshot, confirmed by witnesses such as the butler who initially received them, and a few house servants that had scuttled past here and there in the background.

"Now, do you want to tell me what business you and that James fellow have here?" It wasn't an option. He wanted to know.

"Am I being charged with anything?" Lynx quipped.

"No."

"Then I'm off." She stood up and went to stride past, when the colonel's jaw tightened.

"Hold on. Don't leave the premises. The Chief says no one is to leave, or enter. The manor is on lockdown and everyone is to be safely accounted for."

Lynx raised both brows. "How long can I expect this to take?"

"Be prepared for an overnight stay." Came the brisk response. "Gather with the rest in the ballroom, the constable outside will escort you."

"Why?" She cried out. "Why on earth would you see it sensible to lock an entire force of domestic staff in with a couple of wayward guests for the night, unless..." she trailed off in thought. "The only reason is, you think someone here did it!" She pointed an accusing finger at the colonel and made a sound of triumph. "Aha!"

The colonel ran a hand over his face. "Keep it down would you? And to yourself, if you women folk know how."

Lynx wasn't listening. She was nattering to herself, pacing in a small circle. "Oh my gosh! A murderer amongst us! Who could it be? And why?"

There was a rap on the study door that was being used as an impromptu interrogation room. The handle turned, and James let himself in. "Colonel, a word please."

Lynx looked from one man to the other, as two sets of eyes focused on her. She harrumphed and threw both arms into the air. "Fine! Have your little bromance moment, see if I care!" She slammed the door shut for extra measure, greeted with the familiar sight of Sergeant Tibbles. They both regarded each other with a mutual tetchiness.