Evebridge

"January!" snapped Aspen. I looked up and gave my father, Papa, a small, apologetic smile. He wiped his hand over his face and brushed the snow off his smart-looking, but warm, coat. The vast garden stretched out in front of us was covered in snow. The fountain had stopped running and was covered in glistening snow. Birds perched on it, sining merrily. The walls around the garden were not very tall and covered in green ivy which crawled around the walls, hooking itself stubbornly onto every-space it could find. Papa had ordered the gardeners to clear the vines and ivy and they had tried, but in vain. In the end, the ivy had stayed and it added more comfort to our home. We sat on the balcony chairs, eating our breakfast on the beautifully carved table. The chairs were made of oak wood and covered in soft, warm rugs for us to sit on. A few steps led down to the snow-covered grass, and garden, below. Some of the snow had not been cleared properly from the balcony. I hadn't seen snow for three months now! It was finally winter, so I had kicked up some of the snow, in excitement, onto my father. He shook his head at me and continued, sipping the warm soup from out of a small, porcelain bowl. In front of us, stretched out on a white tablecloth, were beautiful bowls, teacups, teapots, jugs and cutlery. They were filled with all kinds of delicious, warm soup. 

     "Finish your broth before it gets cold," Papa said, giving me a look. I sigh. 

     "I finished my breakfast hours ago. Can't I go play in the garden now? Why must I wait for you?" I exclaimed annoyed. I had been aching to play with snow for the past months, almost a year,  when the last snow had melted away and Spring had taken over. My father raised his eyebrows, he tried not to get mad and took a deep breath. i watched him twirl his fingers around the spoon he held and waited for his reply. 

     "I know you are excited," my father said slowly and calmly. 

     "Understatement fo the year," I muttered under my breath but Papa caught me. 

     "What was that?" he questioned. I shook my head, urging him to continue. 

     "As I was saying, I know you are excited. You should be. I am too. The first snowfall of Winter has come but it should not change the way you act. You must still be respectful, respected and polite," Papa declared with a dark look. I sighed and nodded. I took a piece of toast and plopped it onto my bread. I slowly, splattered some butter onto the toast and then took a small bite. My father raised his eyebrows but said nothing. From my left, the opposite side fo the garden, the large door screens were pulled open. Footsteps rang out onto the hard rock, balcony floor. A servant, dressed in a white shirt and a blue vest with blue pants and shiny black shoes, hustled out onto the balcony. He breathed heavily and his breath fogged at every breath he exhaled. My father turned to him and watched him silently. I wondered how he was coping with the cold. He must have been freezing. I had my red winter coat on and my fluffy long boots. 

     "Sir Bernardo has arrived and requested your assistance, Sire," the servant rattled. Papa turned back to me, and gave me a tight lipped smile. 

     "I'm sorry, Jan. Bernardo and his requests," Papa sighed and folded his napkin neatly before placing it on the table. He then stood up carefully and marched through the screen doors. I watched him leave before taking my turn to stand up. I wanted to rush down to the garden and play but first, I needed to find somebody. I looked at the servant who seemed to be shaking on the spot, waiting for me to leave. 

     "Aren't you cold?" I asked. The servant gave me a questioning look. 

     "No, miss," replied the servant, looking straight ahead, his teeth started to clatter and he started to shake violently. 

     "Really? Cos it looks like you're freezing to death. Maybe you have gotten a coat before coming outside," I suggested, knowing it was his winter attire and he was not allowed to wear a coat. I didn't agree with the rule. It didn't make sense. Why make the servants freeze to death? I walked away and into the house. The warmth hit me and I smiled. I took my coat off and hung it on the armchair made of silk on the side. A fire was burning on a magnificent fireplace and grand paintings hung on the wall. The most expensive and elegant rugs covered the floor. This room was one of the many rooms in the Mansion. The yellowish couch and armchairs which faced the fireplace were made of the finest materials in Evebridge. Evebridge. My village. Located at the edge of Lantern forest, next to the Modern lake and not far from Starling village and Bluejay village. Aspen Robin Wylder, my father (Papa), was also the leader of Evebridge. My mother, Marybelle Aurora Labyrinth (My mother never liked the thought of changing her last name) was well, I guess, the second leader of the village. I almost forgot my brother, Alaska Grey Wylder, annoying but the best brother I've ever had...., and the only. He hated it when people called him Alaska. Everybody called him "Sir Grey." Or just "Grey", for me, my mother and father. Evebridge was a very independent village and unusually large. There were a range of people who lived there and many traders travelled far to get to Evebridge just for a taste of our mysterious Myth Tea.