Dragon part 2

I pulled on my boots and ran out of the Mansion and into the courtyard. I ran for the stables and found Phoenix, munching on some hay. The sun hadn't even risen yet and the groggy stablehand limped over to me. 

     "Morning Miss. Up early today?" he said, wiping his eyes.

     "Good morning. I'm going for a walk with Phoenix. Tell Grey or whoever who asks about me that I'll be back in the evening," I yell before mounting Phoenix (bareback of course) and we canter off towards the village gates. 

The pass is narrow and much darker. Shadows are everywhere. This is not the same place I was yesterday, I said to myself. I finally found a large looming shape in front of me. The big boulder. I scaled it carefully and looked into the clearing. It was dark and and there were no stars. The moon was hiding behind some clouds and it wasn't very bright either. Phoenix had stayed at the entrance of the pass as if she wanted to guard it. I hopped onto the grass and walked towards the lake. Maybe the Dragon was in the water? I peered at the water. It was dark and I couldn't see anything in it. I looked back down in the lake. Nothing. A rumble started suddenly and I fell to the ground. Then, out of nowhere, the Dragon appeared from the far end of the rock wall. I smiled warily. He approached me, tail sweeping the ground cautiously. Then he snorted. Dust sprayed in my face. 

     "Urgh," I mumbled, wiping my face. "That's disgusting." The Dragon made a gurgling sound as if mocking me then looked around. It then proceeded to sit down and spread its wings on the ground. Wow. I stared at the wide, magnificent wings. The Dragon turned its head towards me and watched me. 

     "So, are you the last Dragon?" I asked. "In the world?" The Dragon stared at me blankly. 

     "I'm not talking to myself, am I? You understand me right?" I continued, watching the Dragon closely. He lifted his head and something flashed in his eyes. 

     "You understand me," I murmured. The Dragon opened his mouth. His teeth were long, sharp and brilliant white. A long, brown forked tongue slithered out of his open mouth. He liked his lips and then yawned. I slowly sat down, facing the Dragon. We sat in silence. Near the peaceful lake. In our own worlds. The Dragon's big wings stretched out to his sides. My legs crossed, watching the Dragon with appreciation. Silence. No sound was uttered. I don't know how long we sat in silence, watching each other but soon, the sun was high in the sky and it was afternoon. I slowly stood up and walked back towards the pass. I didn't look back. I felt the Dragon's steady gaze on my back but I didn't turn around. I found Phoenix, grazing peacefully near the pass entrance. 

     "Hey girl," I whispered. Phoenix lifted her head and walked carefully towards me. She shook her head and neighed softly. I mounted her back and we walked together towards the sound of trickling water. I let her drink some water before we started walking back towards the village. 

I crept through the dark pass once again. I didn't know why I was going back to see the Dragon or why I hadn't told anybody but I felt as if it should be kept secret as my father seemed to hate Dragons. I jumped from the boulder into the clearing. Stars were still twinkling brightly in the sky and the moon shone reassuringly above. In the clearing, lying down was the Dragon. I approached him, walking slowly and predictably. I kept mumbling reassuring words under my breath. I was soon an arm's length away from the great beast. I held my breath and slowly, brought me hand up. I lifted my arm and brought it in the air. I closed my eyes. I felt the Dragon's snout, pressed against my palm. His scales were surprisingly warm. They warmed my hand as I held the touch. The scales were hard and smooth. I brought my hand around his snout and towards one of his big horns. I let my fingers run on the long pointed horns. My eyes were still held tightly shut. I took a small breath. The horn was rough and almost as long as my arm. Then I felt him jerk his head away. I opened my eyes and stared back into the Dragon's eye.