Agni

Stay here? No, I couldn't do that. Could I? 

     "January?" interrupted River. "You've been..., thinking for a long time."

     "Sorry," I muttered. "I just, I don't know."

     "It's ok if you don't want to stay here. I understand. I'll still come here and I'll learn more about Secret and tell you about him," River said. 

     "But I do! I really do want to stay here but my parents will find me, somehow they will," I sighed. 

     "I don't think so," River replied. 

     "I don't even know Secret that well. Do we even know what he eats?" I asked. 

     "No but we will find out. And he seems friendly enough," River pointed out. 

     "Yes but what if he's not what we think he is?" I pressed. 

     "He is," stated River firmly. "He's a Dragon. He's strong. He's big. He's friendly. He's our friend. He is Secret."

     "I don't know...," I trailed off. River shrugged to tell me it was my choice. We watched as Secret drank from the glittering lake. The moon was covered by big clouds above. The water rippled around his snout as his long tongue forked into the water. We approached the Dragon. Secret stopped drinking and faced us. He brought his face down to us and we pressed our palms against his green scales. 

     "You don't mind if I stay here with you, do you?" I whispered and looked directly into his eyes. They seemed to swirl, they seemed to tell me a story. I knew his answer. No. He didn't mind. I smiled slightly and the Dragon's eyes seemed to smile back. River grinned. Secret lay down on the ground as we walked around him, touching his scales and inspecting every beautiful detail about him. He didn't even mind. He kept lapping at the water. Finally, River said he needed to go.

     "Are you coming?" he asked. 

      "I'm staying." 

The night was eerily quiet when River left. But I felt better to be next to Secret. Suddenly, Secret open his wide wings and flapped them once. A strong gust of wind ran through the clearing. I grabbed onto Secret's scales because I didn't know what he was doing. He flapped again. I felt my feet lift off the ground and cried out in panic. I looked down. I was already thirty metres off the ground. I gasped. Secret lifted into the sky. His big wings spread out. The created huge gusts of wind. I looked down, the clearing was a small speck and we rose towards the big white clouds above. 

     "Secret!" I scram. Secret didn't seem to see me. We flew into the clouds. It was incredible. It was like flying through thick fog and some parts of the clouds were lit by the bright moonlight while other parts were dark. I almost forgot that I was clinging on to a great beast. We lifted above the clouds. Wow, just wow. There were no words to describe it. 

     "AAAAAAAARGH!" I hollered as my hands slipped of the scales when Secret jerked up. I felt wind rushing next to me as I fell. It was so quick. My vision blurred as I fell through some clouds and I closed my eyes. Thud. I fell onto something soft. I looked around. I was on a patch of grass, slowly it seemed to dissolve and harden. It turned into strong green scales. Secret. I grabbed onto the scales and sat upright. I was sitting near his spine and his wings flapped noisily. He had his neck twisted so he could look at me. I clung onto a few spikes he had and looked him in the eye with the widest grin I could have. His eyes shone brightly and I nodded at him. He twisted his neck back around and with one great flap of his majestic wings, he flew straight back up into the clouds. When we cleared the clouds, everything was magical. The moon shone so bright, illuminating the whole sky. The clouds under us seemed to shine too. The ground could be seen so it looked like the ground was a blanket of fluffy clouds. Stars twinkled along with the moon. We glided above the white fluff of clouds. After a while of marvelling, there were no more clouds and I could see the world below us. It was totally different. First of, we had already passed Evebridge and we were staring down at the town of Merlin. Merlin was a town so far away, I had only once gone to visit it and it had taken us two weeks to get there with the best horses. The town, unlike ours, was colourfully lit. Lights and lanterns which projected different coloured lights were hung everywhere and many house lights were turned on. It was magical. Around Merlin, the pine woods surrounded it and beyond the pine woods was a giant lake. We flew past Merlin at great speed. The wind whipped my face but it didn't hurt, I felt goosebumps running along my arms. My feet dangled down making it feel as if I was walking on air. I clung onto Secret, beaming. He flew past woodlands, forests and valleys, lakes and villages. It didn't take him too much time. We finally started to descend into a big field which was surrounded by the biggest trees I had ever seen. We landed gently onto the ground and Secret started roaming the field. I held on to him, pretending I was riding a horse. I was, of course, almost three metres off the ground. Secret sniffed something, his big nose flared. His tail flickered slightly and his wings folded back next to his side. Then he called. He made a long noise like a Swiss horn. Then, from the other side of the field came another cry. Secret answered once more and from the forest emerged a Dragon. I gasped but kept hold on Secret. I felt Secret lurch under me as he took a big step forward toward the Dragon. This Dragon was a bit smaller than Secret. It had bright red, flaming eyes and big fangs slithered out of its mouth. It had big curving orange horns which butted out of its head and a long row of big orange spikes which ran down its spine and most of its tail. Its tail ended in a flickering ball of fire. Its scales were shiny and bright yellow. It had long, hooked and sharp gleaming black claws. But the wings, oh the wings. They were folded to its side but they were big and menacing. I could feel the strong heat from the new Dragon. Its wings were bright red and flames seemed to be flickering form them, then I realised, they were made of flames. I looked in terror at the new Dragon. I couldn't believe there were other Dragons and a Dragon this terrifying. I kept watching. Secret bowed his head and snorted. The other Dragon snorted in response. I looked into its eyes, they were flaming but I could still understand them. 

     "Terran," its eyes said and I realised it was a female. "How are you?" I couldn't see Secret's eyes so I didn't know what he was saying but he gave a few grunts and snorts. 

     "Who do you have with you?" she glared. Secret turned his head to me and I read his eyes which said, Don't worry, she's not bad. Secret then looked back at the Dragon in front of him and replied with a some snorts. 

    "A huuuuman?" she seemed to slur. Secret bowed his head and grunted. 

     "A disgrace more like," eyed the Dragon. I didn't like what I was seeing in her eyes. "Why does she keep looking me in the eye?" Secret answered once again. I looked straight into the Dragon's eye and she stared back. I read her eyes as easily as a book. You can read Dragons' eyes her eyes flared. I didn't know how to answer to her with my eyes but I thought in my head, I think so. I mean, it's easy, just like reading a book. This seemed to offend her and her eyes blazed. Secret twitched uneasily. Dragons' eyes are not books. We are not easy creatures. I grimaced. I'm sorry. What's your name? Her eyes seemed unreadable for a while and then she said, Agni. And you, are a Dragon Reader. I frowned. A what? A Dragon Reader. A person who can read Dragons' eyes because believe me, it is not as easy as that, reading a Dragons' eyes. They never give anything away. But you can read what we say in our eyes. I didn't know what to respond so I didn't. Secret twisted his head to see me and his eyes said, are you ok? She's not going to hurt you. I smiled at him and nodded. Agni's eyes flamed once more. If you tell anybody about Dragons' existence, we will wipe out the whole human population. I nodded in fear. Good. Since you already have seen me and Terran, I'll explain a bit more. I am a Fire Dragon, Terran here, is  an Earth Dragon. We come to see each other often enough, to see how everything is going because if anybody and I mean anybody by any chance might have seen us, we have to kill them. Meeting up, we just make sure everything is alright and our kind is not in danger. We are also....-um,..., friends. I nodded and we broke our gaze. Agni then said goodbye to Secret and she opened her wings. They were incredible. They were made of dancing flames except for the arm which was made of hardened red scales. When Agni's head had left the clearing and a fresh gust of wind blew, I took a deep breath. Secret turned to me. How was that? Not too scary? I shrugged then shook my head no. So..., is your name Terran? I said in my head but Secret understood. To other Dragons yes but to you and River, it is Secret. I like it. I smiled. He lifted into the air and we glided back towards Secret's home. Secret didn't seem to talk much with his eyes, he liked to show his emotions with them though. He would only sometimes say full sentences. When we reached the clearing, Secret lay down to rest and I wondered where I would sleep. His eyes were comforting and inviting and he snorted and twirled his tail around me, bringing me to his side. His scales slowly turned into grass and I was enveloped in a blanket of soft green grass. I closed my eyes and smiled. That night, I slept with a smile on my face.