Chapter 2

Over a week had passed, or at least that's what Marshall assumed. He'd been so busy focusing on Valerie and dwelling on what their future would hold that he didn't even feel time passing. Plus with the small periodic naps he took throughout the day, his body didn't know when day and night were anymore. Marshall just based everything around Valerie. What time did she lie down, when was the last time she was fed, when was her last bath, etc. It was a daily routine that he just followed, not aware of anything else in the world besides his daughter.

With all the current problems in his life, there was one that he hadn't even thought of until recently. Another check had come the other day from Ashley's parents, which was great. However, it was written in Ashley's name, meaning there was no way for him to cash it now that the girl was MIA. So now it sat in the drawer, mocking him. Money he desperately needed was being dangled right above him, just out of his reach. He would be completely broke soon, and it was just a matter of time.

Marshall quickly realized how fast babies go through the necessities. The items he had bought the day his girlfriend left were already almost gone. Not to mention Valerie was growing fast; soon enough she'd need an actual crib. He figured he could still get another month or two out of the bassinet though, so he didn't need to worry about that just yet. But he did need to figure out how to get money, and fast.

After a few days with no surprise call or knock on his door, Lee started to lose hope of Fionna's friend coming to his rescue. From what the blonde had said, it seemed like the guy just handed over his cash to whoever asked without any other question. So why hadn't he come right away? Fionna could've forgotten so maybe that was why. But Marshall wasn't about to remind her, that would seem pushy and desperate. Which he was, but that's besides the point.

Currently, Marshall was sitting on the couch, feeding his child a bottle of what was almost the last of her formula. He needed to think of something and fast; he couldn't just let his baby go hungry once she ran out. Lee sighed, his eyes stinging again but he blinked it away. He felt so frustrated and stuck. He wanted his daughter to be well taken care of, but he had no way of doing that himself.

There was a question that always seemed to linger in the back of his mind... Should I just give her up for adoption? But every time he looked into the girl's eyes, he'd push it back to the depths of his mind, forgetting about it for a while. As he fed her now, the question came back. Not even looking at her made it go away this time.

Valerie's grayish eyes stared up at him, making soft grunting noises while she fed. The longer he watched her, the more he felt like he was being selfish. He couldn't take care of her, end of story. Marshall was trying to hope for something he knew just wasn't going to work out. He had tried his best for almost three months now, but his efforts were all about to be for nothing.

Lee could just imagine himself dropping Valerie off at some fire station (he didn't specifically know where the safe-haven law applied), running away while they both cried. Speaking of, it wasn't until that thought that the young father realized he was doing just that right now. He didn't have a free hand so he wiped his tears and nose on his shoulder. "Glob, absolutely not," he said to himself, sighing towards the bland ceiling as if it would help his tears fall back into his head.

Honestly, at this point Marshall knew that if it wasn't for this baby in his arms, he probably would've offed himself by now. And he definitely would if he ever resulted to giving Valerie up. Then there'd be no point in living whatsoever. His family disowned him, his girlfriend left him, he was a dropout with no money in his pocket - there was no hope left for him. Except for this girl that was staring up at him.

She was his last hope.

He could never do that to her, he concluded. No, he wouldn't abandon his child like that. He couldn't become yet another deadbeat father; he refused. Lee would find a way to support her, even if that included stealing or selling every single item in his apartment- wait a second. Marshall's eyes lit up.