Chapter 5

Marshall's apartment building looked even shittier from the inside of the Cadillac — and after seeing Barnaby's castle. Looking around at the equally shitty buildings and cars compared to the shiny Escalade, it was apparent that one of these things was not like the other. As the group walked away from the curb, Marshall prayed someone wouldn't steal the car and followed them inside.

The whole place smelled disgusting and it made him feel gross for living in this stench for months. He started feeling self-conscious standing next to Barnaby in the elevator, afraid the stale-cigarette smell was on him too. (However it didn't seem like he cared at the moment, he was too busy holding on for dear life in the rickety elevator.) Honestly he couldn't help but feel like a loser being this close to him. The kid was seventeen and way more successful than he will ever be. That wasn't his fault, however, he can't blame Barnaby for being born into a privileged, wealthy life. No one asks to be born into a certain family. That thought made him look down to his daughter and he frowned.

The walk to his apartment was short, the dingy hallways still reeking of cigarettes and dog feet. Cake and Barnaby discussed the next step in the plan while they waited for Marshall to get his key. Keeping his eyes off the eviction notice, he tried to push his key in the knob only for it to not fit. Lee quirked an eyebrow and inspected it, making sure he had it the right way and tried again. The key didn't fit. Was this his apartment? Yeah, it was, he checked. No matter how much he jiggled the knob or how hard he tried to shove they key in, it wouldn't budge. The eighteen-year-old's heart starting beating faster as his stress levels increased, panic flooding his body. The other three took notice of Marshall's frantic door-jiggling and stopped their conversation.

"Marshall?" Fionna was the first to ask. "You good?"

After two more attempts, the young father gave up and hit his head against the door with a loud thud. He squeezed his eyes shut, frustration along with tears starting to build up. You have to be kidding, there's no way. Suddenly a hand was on his tense shoulder.

"What's wrong, baby?" It was Cake's smooth voice. She spoke softly, just above a whisper.

"The door won't open," he stressed, his voice wavering. Why the hell won't it open?!

"Let me try." The short woman grabbed the keys and pushed him away gently. Marshall Lee covered his face with his hands and listened as Cake attempted to get the door open. "This is your apartment, right? And the right key?" Marshall nodded, knowing he'd start sobbing if he attempted to say a word. Cake tried a few more times before giving up as well. "Um. Sugar, I think they might've changed the locks," Cake spoke with quiet apprehension and Marshall could feel the cracks in his dam start to get bigger.

"No!" He cried out. "I need to get in there! Her stuff is still in ther-" a sob interrupted his sentence and he clutched his chest, feeling embarrassed and pathetic right in that moment. "Cake, what am I supposed to do now?" he sobbed, trying to dry his eyes but new tears just replaced them. He kept his eyes low in an attempt to hide his face from the others. Cake frowned and tried to comfort the father.

"What's the matter?" Barnaby stepped forward, concern replacing his usual chipper voice.

Cake stepped aside to talk to the blonde boy. "Somebody came and changed the locks. There's no way we can get in."

Fionna, who was listening, grabbed Valerie's carrier and walked over. "Don't we have till noon? What time is it now?" The other blonde checked his big shiny watch.

"It's only 11:48. We still had time. Why did they change them early?"

"The cop told you movers would come at 12, right Marsh? Did he say anything about changing your lock?" Cake asked him.